Ribs and chucky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Put some ribs and a chuckie on today. Ribs weren’t quite FOTB but had a good bite. The chuck roast I took to 195 degrees. It wasn’t quite as tender as I wanted it. Just can’t get the dang things to cook like I want. Had a great flavor though. AC8856CA-354D-40A6-A30F-709A42F0D859.jpeg 2BFD9446-DA2A-4139-9203-0EA5648DD829.jpeg
Jim

Reactions: gmc2003 and jcam222
Pork butts and chuck roast = Stubborn @ 225*. Probe test is your friend. I figure 2 hours per pound for butts. I've had chucks take longer.

The chuck's I've smoked have gone to 205* + before they shred / pull.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks tasty. I also like my ribs bite off rather than fall off the bone. Chuckies for me have inconsistent results. I love them when they pull. I feel like the marbling varies a lot in them.

Bite off ribs ARE ribs to me FOTB is pulled pork.....I always braise my chucks in a foil pan once they hit IT 160ish then they get pulled at IT 208.
But yours still look pretty dang tasty to me.

I was going for slices on the chuck. Should I do like folks do on a brisket and go for probe tender?
Jim

I was going for slices on the chuck. Should I do like folks do on a brisket and go for probe tender?
Jim

Yup!!!

Even so that still looks like some good grub to chow down Jim. Most excellent work.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris. just trying to get a chuck roast to do right before I tackle a brisket. Dont feel so bad about screwing up a cheap piece of meat. The chuck roast that we didnt eat has gone into the freezer to be added to chili next week.
Jim

Thanks Chris. just trying to get a chuck roast to do right before I tackle a brisket. Dont feel so bad about screwing up a cheap piece of meat. The chuck roast that we didnt eat has gone into the freezer to be added to chili next week.
Jim

Sounds like a good plan Jim. The best advice I can give you concerning brisket is to RELAX, and don't overthink it. Just go with your instincts, and it will turn out fine. BTW that chili sounds like it's going to be good.

Chris

Yup like Chris said don’t over think it. Brisket just takes some time but is really not all that technical.

One of the easiest and tasty ways for brisket is shown in Jeff’s book, his pan brisket, which is basically just a braised brisket (just like chuck). It doesn't take forever in the smoker either. You can put it on early morning and have it for dinner (9-10 ish hours). This post is a even simpler version of it.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/copper-pot-quick-brisket.301235/
This is how I do most of my brisket these days cause it’s simple and time wise.

I love smoked chuck chili!

civilsmoker civilsmoker Checked out your link/post. May just bite the bullet and give it a try. And put me on the list of buyers for the copper pot. that thing is a beauty!
Jim

Reactions: civilsmoker
Never been a fan of sliced chuck personally, but maybe with a mushroom gravy....... If you ask me I think brisket is easier then you think just don’t rush it. I’m also in the bite off the bone club with ribs, butts are much cheaper for a reason.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky