Ribeye Roast ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Yes, its really me. This quarantine stuff is wearing me out looking for groceries. Thank gwad for freezers and canned items, ya know a country boy can survive! Well and flour sugar, milk & eggs.

OK, raided the freezer (under the pretense of health safety) found an old 2 year old 6 lb. rib-eye roast. Rubbed with worcestershire, kosher & cracked black. Smoked for 6 hours to 145 IT on pecan, pulled and rested 1 hour with a temperature travel to 149 IT, add a copiously buttered baked tater and some of Mom's coleslaw and I was in Moo Cow heaven !!

IMG_0728.JPG

Marinated in worcestershire over night, then packed with salt and pepper, the dried under the fan for an hour before taking to the pre-heated smoker.

Large amounts of kosher & Good pepper (remember how proud Mom always was of her's).

IMG_0733.JPG

The oval is just sitting there. I decided to use pecan shells in the Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment. No smoke applied yet just warmin up that meat.

IMG_0736.JPG

I set the little tube in there, it has dust in it just in case I can't get what I want out of the MCS Attachment. I didn't need it though.

I had just inserted the probe and turned on the aux smoke generator. This was at about 120 IT, Usually I would have done it sooner and I would have over smoked it. It was perfect. No harsh over smoke taste from the pecan shells.

IMG_0738.JPG

145 IT and dripping blood everywhere, its a step of faith and experience to pull it like that. Bring it inside and wrap it up and let it sit about an hour. when I finally sliced into it, the IT was 149.

IMG_0739.JPG

And the Bear View. Thats the end piece and I nearly always go for a center cut, but had that end cut been any finer I guess I would be sick now. LOL

First the reason I smoke for so long, because I smoke so low. I smoke low because I want that fat just ready to render, jiggle like a bowl fulla jelly.

I don't know I remember anyone ever mentioning this before but that's not all fat in the lower left of that meat. I like horse radish with my prime rib. I don't what to choke on it or burn my palette, but I love that taste accentuating the meat.

IMG_0742.JPG

Last night I found strawberries in the freezer and had a quart Mason jar plumb full of strawberry daiquiris. Best nights sleep I've had in months! Man this quarantine is killing me!!

Well thats it guys. Its a great time to do some spring cleanings in the freezer. Stay home, keep safe, No one said we couldn't make smoke.

Thank care.

Very nice Foam!
If I ate that whole plate I'd be belly up for sure, but I'd give it my best shot. I have a 4 pounder in the freezer from last year that I've been planning on slicing into 2 or 3 steaks for the grill but now you've gotten me thinking...
Cabin Fever is getting the best of me. Cooped up all winter and now this. I do go out briefly once a week for things but I have gloves and masks and am careful.
It's good to see you and stay safe down there!
Dan

Thanks everyone !!

Remember to stay safe, stay home, and don't let the cooties catch ya! Also ya know that good cajun bourbon Jacque Daniels, when applied liberally internally is a great disinfectant!

That is a great looking meal. The roast is just the way I like it. LIKE. I've been workin' on the Makers 46 and it seems to be doing a good job of keeping the germs at bay.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky