Rib Roast cooked like a Brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eddiememphis

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Denver
I don't like rare beef.
I purchased a rib roast and will put it in the smoker but wonder is anyone has cooked it like a brisket?
Slowly bring it up, let that big blob of fat render internally, making the meat super tasty.

What does a fatty piece like a rib eye turn into after 12 hours @225°?

You can cook to an IT of 145 with a 30 minute rest and it should not be pink but still juicy. The fat deep in between the muscles will not render completely. If you have that fat, the roast is from the Front of the animal, nearest the Chuck. The Other End, closest to the Short Loin (Strip Loin) has none of that internal fat. You need to get your Rib Eye, custom cut, from the Loin End...JJ

I was at a floating restaurant up in Alexandria bay, NY across from Bolt Castle. and the Sunday special was Yankee pot roast. It was the tenderest and best I had ever had! I asked the waitress if the chef would share what kind of meat he used for this succulent dish. Turns out it was the leftover Saturday night Prime Rib!

I too worked in the business for many, many years. I can't remember left over prime rib.

What position did you hold? I'm a bit surprised that, with your Restaurant exposure to Rare and Med/Rare Beef, you never developed a taste for it. When teaching I always had some Diehard Well Done Beef eating students. I would have them eating from a big platter of Carpaccio, and Loving It, by the end of their time with me.
I spent 2 years in a Restaurant that specialized in Rib Roast. We didn't often have left overs but we would freeze any we had. When there was enough we would run a Special on Stroganoff, Hungarian Goulash, Beef Stew or BBQ Beef Ribs. They were ALL fantastic...JJ

I couple of weeks back I was reading "Smokin" authored by Myron Mixon. When I got to the section on prime rib he stated that it should be smoked at 275º until a internal meat temp of 155º is achieved. I thought to myself, "gee, Myron must be making soup meat". I put the book down right then and haven't touched it since. RAY

I spent 2 years in a Restaurant that specialized in Rib Roast. We didn't often have left overs but we would freeze any we had. When there was enough we would run a Special on Stroganoff, Hungarian Goulash, Beef Stew or BBQ Beef Ribs. They were ALL fantastic...JJ
I bet it was . Sounds great .

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky