Rib-Eye Roast – boneless – apple/hickory smoked - with Pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Boneless rib-eye roast was on sale at Sam’s so we bought a 4.9 pound whole roast.  I borrowed Bearcarver’s Prime Rib recipe once before and it was the best ever so we used it again on this rib-eye roast.   

First thing I do is split the roast in half.  I do this for 3 reasons:
  • The smaller cuts help it cook much faster than one big roast
  • The seasoning does not have as far to penetrate
  • The smoked flavor is awesome on every piece, not just the ends and the edges.

Seasoning:
About 4 hours prior to smoking I season liberally with:
  • Worcestershire sauce – brushing the entire piece of meat completely wet
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic powder

After seasoning I bag it and let is rest in the fridge.  After a couple of hours I flip it to allow the juices to flow the other way.  Not sure that makes any difference or not, but that’s what I do.

About 30 minutes before placing it in the smoker, I take it out of the fridge to allow it to warm a bit.  I also turn on the smoker (MES-40 2.5) to let it get to temp well before the rib-eye roast goes in it.  I set the temperature to 225F and I put about ½ inch of hot tap water in the pan as the smoking time is relatively short.  Since the weather was wonderful, I used the MES chip feeder and an apple/hickory blend for smoke instead of my AMZNPS.  I do not soak my chips.

Total smoker time was 2h 15m. Here is the finished rib-eye roast, medium rare at 145F.

This method yielded four huge, thick cut, 20 oz. (+/-) cuts of meat with smoked bottoms and edges.  Side dishes were garlic mashed potatoes and a huge salad.

That looks awesome Uncle! 
points.gif
Very nice cook!

Looks more like 130*-135*, but I'll take your word for the 145* @ finish. 

I never take mine that far, so I wouldn't know what 145* looks like with prime rib. 

Wife and I are both rare, to medium rare, people. 125* to 135*  At least that's one thing we agree on.  LOL

Last edited:

That looks awesome Uncle! 
points.gif
Very nice cook!

Looks more like 130*-135*, but I'll take your word for the 145* @ finish. 

I never take mine that far, so I wouldn't know what 145* looks like with prime rib. 

Wife and I are both rare, to medium rare, people. 125* to 135*  At least that's one thing we agree on.  LOL
My thermometers are all calibrated.  

I know what you mean though...the picture looks rarer than medium-rare for sure.

Nice smoke, good qview and nice thread. You gave me some new ideas. Definitely worth points!

Disco

Looks Great, Eddie!!
icon14.gif

Looks Mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

I have to agree that it looks a lot more rare than 145°.

My Calendar Pics (Below) are all between 137° and 144°, and they all look more done than yours. Maybe your Therm wasn't in the center.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138992/prime-rib-calendar-my-favorite-smokes

I like your idea of getting more Smoke & seasoning flavor by splitting in two.
icon14.gif

I would do that, but Mrs Bear doesn't want hers Smoky. 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky