Rib Eye: From 103 Primal Roast To Steak To Plate (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I want to see Robert smoke the entire sub primal roast in it's entirety. I would book a flight to TX in a minute!

Nice process Robert and great looking meat

Now for the meal, top notch again, But the cooked shot had me wanting that for sure
1661853283197.png

Love the crust on that

David

Call me crazy but I would take that fat flap and make grind with very lean and trimmed of all gristle sirloin or round. 1 pass though coarse. Burgers seasoned with nothing but salt and pepper served medium rare
Thanks so much for sharing the info, but believe me, what you note here is one of the things I do. Tracy LOVES a good burger so I try to keep her happy. I save all the trimmings from all the different roasts I get and burgers is one of the things I use it for. Nothing like a top sirloin/rib eye/NY strip/filet mignon burger. I also use some of the trimmings for sausage so the two things I noted are not the only way the extra stuff gets used up :emoji_wink:

Robert

Straight forward & excellent knife work Robert. Just reading this got me hungry. Love the simplicity of salt & cbp on a really good looking ribeye. Only thing missing for me was a glass of good red wine.
Thanks so much for the kind words Matt. I appreciate it. I'm not a wine fan though. Tracy is but typically only when we have guests over. We're pretty much beer drinkers most of the time....and margaritas of course :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: schlotz
Great write up Robert! Now I know where my ribs came from! The steak looks amazing, as does the whole meal!!
Thank you very much Al. I appreciate it. Hadn't thought about you seeing where and how the ribs made it to you but it is enlightening and I bet it was kinda cool to see.

Robert

Looks great as usual! You are a steak master. I keep waiting for you to pepper coat and smoke one whole haha
Thank you Jeff. Don't know about the "master" concept but after doing a few thousand of them I'd hope that something was learned along the way :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Man Robert, when I saw that whole subprimal it reminded me of brontosaurus ribs...did you get them from the Flistones? :emoji_laughing:
Steaks look great!
Thanks Ryan but no, the roast did not come from Fred and Wilma :emoji_laughing: Now having seen one you can understand where SmokinAl SmokinAl derived the title for the thread he did after cooking the rack he got. They are pretty massive.

Robert

That's some beautiful looking meat. Thanks for sharing the process! I know what you mean with the black pepper, I tend to go heavy with it, especially on beef, good stuff!
Thanks so much for the kind words. Just finished bacon with two full bellies and one was simply pepper crusted. Man that stuff is good!!

Robert

Nice knife work, always looks like a murder seen when I cut down big sections of meat.
Appreciate it Cliff. I've been through this and several other cuts a number of times so getting it dialed in. Still a long way from being a good butcher, but making progress. The first of these I did was not so pretty, believe me buddy :emoji_wink:

Robert

Wow Robert that's a great process and cook !
I usually do a beef roast around the holidays and have this bookmarked as a guideline.
Thanks for sharing and love the pepper, too.
Thanks so much Keith. It was kinda fun posting the whole process finally. As for me, I usually do a beef roast.....well...pretty much any time :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Very interesting post, and a heck of a lot of meat.
Should make for some good eating.
Thanks so much Steve. I actually have another 103 rib section still in the cryovac in the fridge...along with 60 more pounds of beef belly. Gonna do the whole roast next month for some friends.

Robert

This inspires me to get back on my dry aging and steak cutting. At one time I had a primal in the dry ager almost at all times, cycling through the aged (frozen) steaks as the new one aged. Although, I never ran across a 103. Where did you buy yours?

I’ve used the Prime1 bone in ribeye primals from H‑E‑B in the past with phenomenal results. I found 60 days dry aged to be the sweet spot for our palette’s. Back when you could get them on sale for 9.99 or 10.99/lb. Also dry aged and cut a few strip loins which were awesome.

Thanks for posting, and beautiful work!

I want to see Robert smoke the entire sub primal roast in it's entirety. I would book a flight to TX in a minute!
I'm gonna hold you to this Cliff. I'm doing a whole roast for a few friends on the 24th of this month. You still have time to book your flight at discount prices. Send me your flight schedule and I'll pick you up at the airport :emoji_laughing:
Oh man! That looks incredible! You’re a craftsman in all things Robert!
Thanks so much Jed. Not sure about the craftsman aspect though. Just improvisation so I can afford to eat the food I enjoy the most.
Although, I never ran across a 103. Where did you buy yours?
I get all of my primal cuts, this one included, from the wholesale division of Certified Piedmontese Beef. Can't wait to see your next dry aging project.

Robert

I'm gonna hold you to this Cliff. I'm doing a whole roast for a few friends on the 24th of this month. You still have time to book your flight at discount prices. Send me your flight schedule and I'll pick you up at the airport :emoji_laughing:

Thanks so much Jed. Not sure about the craftsman aspect though. Just improvisation so I can afford to eat the food I enjoy the most.

I get all of my primal cuts, this one included, from the wholesale division of Certified Piedmontese Beef. Can't wait to see your next dry aging project.

Robert
oh don't tempt me Robert, but Bonnie is having foot surgery next Friday....Maybe the next roast..lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky