Rib Eye: From 103 Primal Roast To Steak To Plate (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
If memory serves me correctly, I believe I've posted a rib eye steak cook or two over the years :emoji_laughing: This one is gonna be a bit different in that I'm taking it from a full 103 sub primal rib section, through the process of breaking it down, then cooking one of the steaks. I got this roast about a week and a half ago and finally got around to getting it out on Sunday to break down into steaks. I had a moment of panic when I realized I was almost out of rib eyes so had to order one. That would be a travesty and just cannot happen :emoji_wink:

So here is the roast. Basically they cut the entire 7-bone rib section off the cow (bones 6-12), package it, and send it to me. Isn't that nice of them?
004.jpg

Out of the cryovac. A couple different angles. This one weighed in just shy of 26 pounds.
005.jpg

006.jpg

Ribs removed, the flap (whatever that is called??) cut off, and the primary section of meat for the steaks. The "flap" has some meat on it but mostly fat. I trim it down and save the meat for soup or chili or something like that.
007.jpg

Pure prime rib bliss!!
008.jpg

Cut the roast into steaks. This is before trimming to package. These are all cut 1 1/4" thick and after trimming weigh between 1 pound and 1 pound 4 ounces. Bottom left in the gray pan is the one for dinner. It was the end cut and the largest of the bunch at 2 pounds.
009.jpg

Dry brine with kosher salt for a few hours
010.jpg

An hour or so before cooking rub with Worcestershire sauce and apply a heavy coating of butcher's grind black pepper. Our friend SmokinAl SmokinAl can relate. He and I share the same propensity for black pepper :emoji_laughing:
011.jpg

Y'all know what this is!! Had some weather blow through and wreak havoc on the pool furniture.
012.jpg

No progress pics of the steak cooking. Somehow I lost a good part of my black pepper but the flavor was still there.
014.jpg

Sliced. I think I'm gonna enjoy this
015.jpg

Plated with some creamy basil pasta and a nice salad.
016.jpg

Carryover got me by just a little bit on the thinner slices but still a great steak. Nice and tender, juicy, and flavorful.
017.jpg

Well this one was fun. As many times as I've gotten the 103 rib sections and as many times as I may have posted steaks, I don't think I've ever posted the whole process I go through for these. Made for a nice Saturday afternoon activity last weekend as well as for a nice dinner. Not sure yet what I'm going to do with the ribs from this one but the cogs are turning for something that might be a lot of fun for the forum :emoji_wink:

Been a crazy week of posting but I'm starting to catch up. Still have an amazing pizza to post that I did the day after this one...and done in a really interesting way, that y'all need to see. I'll get to that in a couple days though. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll see everybody later. Got our vegetarian friend coming over for dinner this evening and gonna do a veggie version of the spaghetti squash boats for her.

Robert

beautiful looking hunk of meat!! thanks for showing us your process of breaking it down and another great looking meal!!

Word.

Call me crazy but I would take that fat flap and make grind with very lean and trimmed of all gristle sirloin or round. 1 pass though coarse. Burgers seasoned with nothing but salt and pepper served medium rare with that delicious pure clean fat in a pretty high ratio on a buttered griddled bun with nothing but mayo...... Heaven. I'd just as soon have one of those over a ribeye to be honest, simply because I get ribeye more often.

A thousand years ago I ran a steakhouse kitchen and the owner had a butchers shop next door. We cut our own steaks for the restaurant and all the meat for the butchers shop. If our meat cutter was out it was either myself or the owner that did the butchering. When I did it, any ribeye fat and trimmings went into my own private reserve grind along with the sirloin trimmings (we sold more sirloin than anything else). Man, I was spoiled.

Straight forward & excellent knife work Robert. Just reading this got me hungry. Love the simplicity of salt & cbp on a really good looking ribeye. Only thing missing for me was a glass of good red wine. :emoji_wink:

Great write up Robert! Now I know where my ribs came from! The steak looks amazing, as does the whole meal!!
Al

Looks great as usual! You are a steak master. I keep waiting for you to pepper coat and smoke one whole haha

Man Robert, when I saw that whole subprimal it reminded me of brontosaurus ribs...did you get them from the Flistones? :emoji_laughing:
Steaks look great!

Ryan

beautiful looking hunk of meat!! thanks for showing us your process of breaking it down and another great looking meal!!
Thanks so much. I do love getting these large primal cuts. Nice to be able to break them down however you want. Got another one in the fridge that's gonna remain mostly prime rib for a meal coming up next month with a few friends.

Robert

Looks outstanding Robert. very nice piece of meat, you are a master.
Thank you very much. The "master" concept is a bit of a stretch though. I just do what I gotta do to have really good meat without spending a fortune on it. Having been through the process of breaking these down several times though, I kinda got it figured out.

Robert

Reactions: AngleAway
Thank you for sharing and giving me ideas of things I would like to try.

It looks and sounds absolutely wonderful!
Thanks so much for the kind words and you're more than welcome. It's about time I showed the whole process after all the times I've been through this. Just for giggles, you might want to contact a butcher or two in your area and see if they can get you a full 103 rib section to play with. It's a ton of fun!!

Robert

Reactions: TH-n-PA
That's some beautiful looking meat. Thanks for sharing the process! I know what you mean with the black pepper, I tend to go heavy with it, especially on beef, good stuff!

Wow Robert that's a great process and cook !
I usually do a beef roast around the holidays and have this bookmarked as a guideline.
Thanks for sharing and love the pepper, too.

Keith

Outstanding!

Beautiful piece of meat straight from the bag. Great trim and prep job, and an excellent cook and presentation. A+ all the way. Only thing missing is me.

Very well done, Robert.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky