Reverse Seared (smoker)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tender-butt

Original poster
May 3, 2021
I’ve grown to love reverse searing steaks in my smoker very quickly! Anyway two questions.

First what temp to smoke the steak at? I’ve tried 225 but a lot of people are saying 250 because 225 takes to long and you get the same results.

Second, what’s your favorite searing method? I tried Cast Iron, I use cast iron for regular cooking all the time. I found it really easy to over shoot my desired temp. Hot hot grill works pretty good. However the best sear for me was with a MAP gas torch. I found when doing it this way it is done very quickly. So not much heat goes into the steak. I’ve got to cook the steak to a few degrees higher temp or it will be under done for my taste.

Anyway what’s your preference?

Reactions: kilo charlie
I reverse sear in the smoker at 250F with a Meater Plus probe in it.. once it gets to 135 degrees I pull it out for a quick flip on a screaming hot gas grill till it's 145F IT - I am a huge fan of the color and taste of doing Ribeyes and NY Strips this way - the color of the outside turns a red color that's hard to capture with a camera and when I do people think I have added a filter to it!

Reactions: Tender-butt
At the moment unfortunately the only gas grill I have is a small portable one. It’s great for burgers and dogs. Kinda iffy about searing steak on it though. I’ve got a gas grill on my radar for my “outdoor” kitchen this year. I don’t need a huge one I usually use gas for just my wife and kids. When we want to quickly cook some burgers and dogs kinda stuff. However I want a good quality one that can crank out some heat. I’m sure I could use it for searing steak but I think it would not get hot enough to do it quickly and I’d wind up over cooking it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky