• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I've learned a lot here, so we'll do some testing and likely some remodeling, and see how things turn out.

Still open for some more ideas if anyone has any!

Ok, I've done some work and and a bunch of testing and I think I've pretty much got it figured out.

We sealed around the CC door some more and that didn't seem to make much difference.

I also tried the foil idea that was earlier in this thread, along with replacing the foil with and actual steel plate, neither of which helped at all.

Next I added the baffle in the firebox like in the earlier diagram, and that made a few degrees difference, but made it much easier to control the overall temp.

Then I took a laser temp gun and ran it all over the CC while it was running and discovered that the temps made a pattern like this:
smoker4.png

That left 2 options in my mind, raise the chimney or put a baffle in the other end. So I went the easy route and added the baffle, so I now have modifications like the following image:
smoker3.png

I am now getting end to end temp differences consistently in the <10* range, with the hot end now being the far end away from the FB.

I know this is an old thread but it might help someone else. The problem with this design is the placement of the stack. A reverse flow stack should be placed at the top of your CC. An offset smoker the FB CC opening should be at or just above grate level and the opening should be facing up not out. The collector should be at grate level, built this way it will eliminate the need of a baffle plate. If you build your smoker with the CC FB opening like originally designed coming out the side baffle plates will be needed and you will want to build the collector at grate level. Also something else to make note of, the back wall of your collector should be your stack pipe. This makes for a much smoother transition for the draw to turn vertical up your stack.

• Haha
Reactions: daveomak
Could try using longer splits, not thicker just longer. But 20 degrees id take that and run with it. Maybe use that area for something that needs a hotter temperature like chicken or if you’re running behind on something it’s taking a little longer to cook sometimes it’s not a bad idea to have a little bit of a different time zone to work with.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky