Reuniting With An Old Friend: Smoked Pepper Crusted Beef Tenderloin (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Back in '08 I got the honor of building a new house for a person who we became very good friends with. The build process was pretty much seamless and the friendship continued after closing. We have done tons of activities with him and his family over the years: parties at his house, parties at our house, boating, motorcycle trips, just hanging out at the brewery for a few beers, etc. When the pandemic hit 3 years ago we kinda lost touch and hadn't seen him since then. He reached out last week just to say HI and that turned into a dinner invite for last Saturday. This would also be the first time meeting his new fiance' and we were really looking forward to that. Since it had been years, I decided to pull out all the stops and put together a really nice dinner. The decision was made to do the beef tenderloin so I put together a complimentary array if side dishes.

To get the ball rolling, I had to make our beloved sour cream and onion rolls. The dough after the 2nd proof.
View attachment 654845

We love the asparagus this way: Kerrygold butter, shaved pecans, and dried cranberries.
View attachment 654846

A nice bowl of homemade garlic & sour cream mashed potatoes.
View attachment 654847

Homemade beef and onion gravy. @Brokenhandle are you paying attention?
View attachment 654848+

The roast. Just over 1 1/2 pounds but there are only 4 of us and 3 aren't big eaters.
View attachment 654849

Rubbed down with a Worcestershire sauce, a sprinkle of kosher salt, and coated with black pepper.
View attachment 654850

The rolls done and off the grill.
View attachment 654851

A pan full of mushrooms simmered with Marsala wine, butter, garlic, and black pepper.
View attachment 654852

Appetizer plate with homemade Hawaiian Portagee sausage, some amazing smoked 16 year aged extra sharp cheddar I got from our very good friend Steve H Steve H in the Christmas exchange, and some club crackers.
View attachment 654853

Some cherry wood TBS rolling in the afternoon sunlight. For some reason I really like this pic.
View attachment 654856

Tenderloin on the smoker. Running 245 for the first 40 minutes to set the crust then drop to 180 to finish.
View attachment 654857

Time to put the asparagus on the grill.
View attachment 654858

The roast all done and getting happy. Pulled at an IT of 128.
View attachment 654859

Sliced...oh baby!!
View attachment 654860
View attachment 654861

Tracy putting the finishing touches on the table. We don't use the dining room but a couple times a year so she likes to make it kinda pretty.
View attachment 654862

The spread. Kind of a funky pic and the rolls didn't make it in, but you get the idea. Rolls did show up in time for serving though.
View attachment 654863

Finally and alas, my first plate.
View attachment 654864

To say this meal was superb wouldn't be doing it justice. Everything was pretty much perfectly done and came together in a complimentary way to create an extraordinary meal, and not just a meal, an experience. It was a perfect way to get back in touch with Gerald, and his new bride-to-be Dana was an absolute hoot!! Such an amazing lady and we fell in love with her immediately. A fine tribute to a fine friend. Now to bring this story full circle. Gerald (aka @snakehead ) is the person who turned me on to SMF a long time ago when I was failing miserably trying to smoke ribs. Well there ya have it.....the truth is out so you can blame him for all the weird stuff I've subjected you to over the years. It's all HIS fault :emoji_laughing:

Now that I'm finished blamestorming, gonna call this one done. Take care and stay safe folks.

Robert
Jesus ! Just Awesome I say ! Good looking for sure.

HT

Wow Robert, like has been said multiple times - What a great meal with great friends. There isn't one aspect of that meal that is not carousel worthy! Going to try that asparagus recipe.
Thanks so much Cliff. I thought it may have had what it took to get the ride also but I guess the staff sees things differently :emoji_wink: Appreciate the kind words though. It was a nice meal for sure.

Robert

Hard to say what already hasn’t been said! Your cooks are something to keep striving for, not just the meat, but the whole menu.
As time has gone by, I've tried more and more to coordinate meals in a manner that work together, especially a higher-end dinner like this one.
That’s one of the things you’ve definitely influenced me on, I used to focus on the meat, but now I’m thinking about the whole meal! You SOB🤣!
Uh oh...I'm now being lumped into the "Enabler" category along with Steve H Steve H Not really en enviable place to be but I'll take it :emoji_laughing:
Robert. You really are an amazing friend to all and next level on cooks!
Once again sir, the praise is far higher than deserved but I do thank you.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw and Steve H
Wow! Amazing to say the least.
Thanks very much. I appreciate it.
Any chance you would share your sour cream onion roll recipe?
It is a pre-made sour cream and potato mix from The Prepared Pantry and I just add a good shot of minced onion to the dough when it starts to mix. They have a ton of great offerings. One is the sour cream and onion but I like the potato aspect and just add my own onions. A lot of folks here have started getting stuff from them and I've not heard a negative comment yet.

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That plate is perfection Robert! The doneness of that tenderloin doesn’t get much better! Nicely done and what a meal to serve to a friend/mentor.
Thanks so much Joe but the praise is a bit much my friend. A good piece of meat, a good cooker, and a good remote thermometer makes it almost foolproof.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky