Resturant Depot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi Has any body shopped at Restaurant Depot for whole Brisket/Packers and ribs.I read some where that "IF" you are a member of the KSBS/Kansas City Barbeque Society you can shop a tRD?

How are there prices and set up..I have one close to me, but never been inside.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
i went into one the other week and was told that if i didnt own a restruant that i couldnt shop there. i needed meat in bulk but they just wouldnt sell to me

One down the street from me. Maybe 2 miles. Been in there once. Wasn't all that impressed with the prices or products. Selection is one thing they do have though. Didn't try to buy anything. Some things I can get cheaper at Costco.

I've never been to one yet but a friend has offered to take me. I think they're tax free but I haven't compared prices so I'm not much help. I've heard they have great prices on certain products, like cheese and such.

I know it was probably rude of them to say you can't shop there, but this is on their web site in the membership page info.....

*Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.

After reading that I am not even sure I could shop there being a Chef........my wife owns a preschool that serves food for the kids, not sure if that would qualify either. I work with a lot of wholesale companies that will not sell to the general public due to their licience and other restrictions. My gut is it mostly deals with the sales tax thing, but that is a guess on my part.

I know it was probably rude of them to say you can't shop there, but this is on their web site in the membership page info.....
*Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.
After reading that I am not even sure I could shop there being a Chef........my wife owns a preschool that serves food for the kids, not sure if that would qualify either. I work with a lot of wholesale companies that will not sell to the general public due to their licience and other restrictions. My gut is it mostly deals with the sales tax thing, but that is a guess on my part.
Either one of you should be able to join.  They are not that stringent, at least not around here. Find a friend that owns a bar or restaurant and see if they will let you have a card..Unlike the public warehouse stores, you can pay with anything, the credit card does not need to be from the owner of the warehouse card.

They are a Wholesale only. Like any supplier, you need to shop prices. For me, even at 150 miles away (same as Costco and Sams) it is generally worth it to buy in bulk. When looking for bellies, they were the best prices by far and one of the only places that carried them. Bulk cheese is generally another good deal there as well.

They have locations around the country and their site lets you price different region pricing. I get a little frustrated when I see Bellies in GA a buck less than in AZ.

A few years back, I had heard they were honoring the KCBS members, although I went through hell jumping through all kindsa hoops getting my membership, I was told they don't honor KCKS members after about a half hour of going back and forth they reluctantly issued me one, and now I guard it with my life. The cheese Isle is simply amazing. In philly its called JETTRO

Prices are ok but the selection is great.

I don't go there unless I have $300.00-$400.00 in my pocket

I live close to one.  LOVE IT.  Need to have a membership though. 

Prices of course are really second to none when compared to standard retail.  The other day I got two bone in butts, 8 hanger steaks, 20 lbs of ground pork, and a box of duck quarters.  Total was under $90. 

Hi All Thanks for the fast replies.. I'm more interested in prices for  whole Brisket n ribs. I E-mailed the manger of the store close to me and his his reply was"We carry whole briskets..
You can sign up as KCBS and use yourself as the contact name..I looked in the system and it seems that others have shopped here from around the country and have done that...
It would take just a few minutes.."

Thanks Dan

I thought I had read something on KCBS that depot does or did honor the membership. But for now I go to BJ or Costco for my brisket 3.99 if you ask the butcher for a packer (untrimmed)

Never knew about them.  We have two in Atlanta.  And I still have a business license and state reseller's tax certificate from a business I used to operate, but have shelved for now.  I guess  I need to check them out.

I love that place. Only place around here to get pork bellies at a reasonable price. Great deals on shrimp, canned crab meat, butts, briskets, and bulk spices.

I have a restaurant depot about an hour from me and always wanted to go.  Looks like its time to sign up for a KCBS membership.

Hi All/China I just looked on KCBS website they offer one day passes to members.

Where did you see this on the KSBC site? I sent an E-mail to the KCBS and there reply was yes If I'm a member of KCBS.

Thanks Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky