Restaurant Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

357mag

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Piedmont Triad of NC
For lunch today I went to my favorite BBQ joint. Now keep in mind that I live in NC, so BBQ means pork, but this place recently started serving beef brisket. Well I tried it and it was not only the worst brisket I have ever eaten, it was the worst beef I have ever eaten.

It was very tender, but first of all it was sliced 3/4" thick, it had no bark, it had no fat, it had no flavor and when I put it in my mouth it sucked all of the moisture right out of my mouth. It tasted like, and had the texture of pot roast, but without the flavor. The meat itself was very dark, like it had been cooked in liquid.

It really is too bad because this place has the best pulled pork of any place I have eaten at.

I guess they should stick to pork and leave the beef alone.

For lunch today I went to my favorite BBQ joint. Now keep in mind that I live in NC, so BBQ means pork, but this place recently started serving beef brisket. Well I tried it and it was not only the worst brisket I have ever eaten, it was the worst beef I have ever eaten.

It was very tender, but first of all it was sliced 3/4" thick, it had no bark, it had no fat, it had no flavor and when I put it in my mouth it sucked all of the moisture right out of my mouth. It tasted like, and had the texture of pot roast, but without the flavor. The meat itself was very dark, like it had been cooked in liquid.

It really is too bad because this place has the best pulled pork of any place I have eaten at.

I guess they should stick to pork and leave the beef alone.
Probably braised in an oven, floating in liquid at 350˚, for 3 hours or so.

Liquid at 350˚ = Boiled!

That'd be my guess,

Bear

Most restaurants do not take the time to perfect each dish they serve in comparison to the time we each spend at home on what we serve ourselves.

I relate this to the same as bringing a deer into a butcher to have it de-boned and made into sausage; I pick up my 68 lbs. of $250 so so sausage. Or I can do it myself knowing there is no deer hair or venison fat and using good quality pork added to my much better tasting 98 lbs. of $110 sausage cause the processor claims excessive loss due to shrinkage. DIY is usually best!

I pretty much won't eat Q at any restaurant anymore because I'm usually disappointed when I do

I am going to have to ask if they cook their brisket. All of their pork shoulders are done in a pit with hickory wood. I would have thought that they would cook their briskets on the pit also. Their pork BBQ is the best and something that I aspire to, but my brisket ( and I have only done 2 so far) is 100 times better.

I pretty much won't eat Q at any restaurant anymore because I'm usually disappointed when I do
You Right Piney, There Q is nowhere near what you (we) can put out on our made from love smokers!! I have friends in the Q-biz. And they will tell you they can't produce the same Q you can and sell it at a profit! Anyone that has ever smoked a brisket for 12hrs knows it!!

Yeah the more I smoke the less I eat Q out.  Or I used to love my aunts pulled beef but last time I had it I thought "man this would be way better if it was smoked!!"

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I also agree with Jerry and that it's really hard to go to most of the restaurants out there. Now I like to grill and smoke alot of things. Now If I go to just about any restaurant I'm never happy with their food. I feel that I can cook most to the food either as good most of the time better then they do and at a much lower price too. Heck I was even watching "Hell's Kitchen" the other night and I can make better sushi then most of them supposed chefs.

I've only been smoking for a couple months and I've already gotten much better results than most restaurants. My family has also been very happy with my Q.

I rarely ordered BBQ at a restaurant but now I never do.

I love this hobby!

This is a bit embarrassing, but the last time I had BBQ'd Ribs at a restaurant was when the Movie "Verdict" just came out. We went to the movies after we ate.

I missed the last 15 minutes of the movie, because I had to run (walk fast) to the little boys room! 
icon_redface.gif

I know that's more info than you wanted, but I wouldn't have told you if I didn't regard you all as my friends.
icon_cool.gif

Bear

I have yet to find good tasting brisket, and I've tried in several western states. You just can't compare most restaurant Q to homemade Q. Was I through?.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky