"Requirements" for the carousel ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Al ( and everyone else)

My intention was never to upset anyone especially the mods.. it was seeking to understand the process. I am satisfied with all the answers given and hope that those in the future can read this an understand as well.

That is all.

No problem Charlie!
This is not an easy job, and we will never satisfy everybody. I’m glad you understand that our job is not so easy, and hope you understand we are trying to do our best & be as fair as we can.
Al

I know that at least SmokinAl SmokinAl for one doesn't like to put noobs up on the carousel unless they have already shown themselves to be interactive with the community.
He wants someone that will answer questions about their cook and take part in the camaraderie.
And a ride on the carousel just builds on that.

Guys , this is not a contest, every mod & admin has his own idea about what should be featured.. If your thread gets a ride on the carousel, that’s awsome, but if it doesn’t, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve to be on there. We are trying our best to be a fair as we can, but of course some great threads don’t make the cut & some that you may think shouldn’t be there do. If your on here a lot you know who puts up the best threads, but we (as in I ) don’t feel comfortable featuring the same guys over & over. So I may feature a thread from a newbie that may not be up to your standards, But I still remember the first time one of my threads was featured. I was absolutely thrilled. And that is what I want to pass on to the new guys!
Al

My intention wasn't meant to rustle any feathers either!

This sight is truly a place where anyone can come to and learn from our unselfish members by asking questions and sharing their techniques and recipes.

If a post is FEATURED then shouldn't it contain some information as to how it was prepared other than just a picture of plated food?

That is all I was asking. I for one enjoy learning from others.

I apologize if I offended anyone.

John

Last edited:
I've never been on and I am OK with that becuase I don't post near as many pics as many of you. I'm just glad we have that carousel because it has brought my attention to so many good posts with great looking food!

If a post is featured then shouldn't it contain some information as to how it was prepared other than just a picture of plated food?

John, the way I see it, and I don't see so well these days. Is the more comfortable newer members feel here the more open/detailed they'll be with their threads. Kinda like going to your wife's office party for the first time. You don't really know anyone and don't want to say something dumb.

Chris

John, the way I see it, and I don't see so well these days. Is the more comfortable newer members feel here the more open/detailed they'll be with their threads. Kinda like going to your wife's office party for the first time. You don't really know anyone and don't want to say something dumb.

Chris

Don't know why all of a sudden the focus is on the comfort of new members. This does not have anything to do with new members.

All I am saying is that merely photographs with no explanations, tutorials, recipes, techniques, procedures, methods, descriptions, elucidations, or clarifications of what was done to achieve the final results of a smoke/cook is worthless and shouldn't be considered for exposure on the FEATURED CAROUSEL.

I can look at pictures in any cookbook, but the recipes and procedures are always included.

Just saying,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: kilo charlie
Don't know why all of a sudden the focus is on the comfort of new members. This does not have anything to do with new members.

All I am saying is that merely photographs with no explanations, tutorials, recipes, techniques, procedures, methods, descriptions, elucidations, or clarifications of what was done to achieve the final results of a smoke/cook is worthless and shouldn't be considered for exposure on the FEATURED CARORSEL. I can look at pictures in any cookbook

John

OK OK. We get what your saying. I featured that one. SORRY. I wont let it happen again. Whew.

OK OK. We get what your saying. I featured that one. SORRY. I wont let it happen again. Whew.

I didn't intend to insult anyone and if I did I apologize.

You guys do a great job and I admire you. I was just curious as to why it happened when there are numerous threads much more interesting than a picture.

John

I didn't intend to insult anyone and if I did I apologize.

You guys do a great job and I admire you. I was just curious as to why it happened when there are numerous threads much more interesting than a picture.

John

I liked the picture. Thats all. I liked the picture.

I’m glad you featured it I would rather look at pictures any day over reading a long detailed thread. I typically skip all the reading and just look at pictures here anyway. It’s all a mater of opinion anyway. My opinion is I’d rather see the pics others opinion is they would rather read the details. Everyone gotta learn to respect others options or find a way to move on. Life is to short to get worked up over differing opinions on a forum.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
You know enough is enough we have tried to explain how things get featured and people want to continue to complain of course it seems lately there's been a lot of complaining about Moderators and Admins. Bottom line is one of us decides to feature something for whatever reason and does it. There are no requirements and never have been and I really don't expect that to change

You know enough is enough we have tried to explain how things get featured and people want to continue to complain of course it seems lately there's been a lot of complaining about Moderators and Admins. Bottom line is one of us decides to feature something for whatever reason and does it. There are no requirements and never have been and I really don't expect that to change

I wasn't complaining. I was just curious and joined the conversation.

Again, If I offended any administrator it wasn't intentional and I apologize!

John

John it's not really you it's that we feature what catches our eye if that's just a pic then it is what it is don't know how many ways we can say it. People make to big a deal out of it. It's not a contest all it means is a staff member saw a post they liked and thought others may as well. Awhile back there was a thread with pictures by different members that weren't even smoke related and I came very close to featuring it because some of the pictures were beautiful but for some reason I didn't do it. As for new members I'm one that will feature them if given a chance I think most people are unsure of themselves and this smoking thing so them getting featured and people making positive comments to them builds some confidence in them to continue smoking.

Thanks pineywoods pineywoods ,

I felt terrible thinking I offended you guys but I was just confused as to what parameters warranted featuring.

Being a retired teacher, facts and details were required from my students. I have to keep in mind that I am no longer in my classroom. . .LOL!

Now I understand.

Thanks again,

John

I guess I should be "upset", for some unknown reason, that my "Food Safety" threads aren't displayed on the carousel... SARCASTIC ..
Dave, wanna say thank you to you also! You spend alot of time posting your "food safety " threads. While I don't read all of them, the one's I do are interesting, informative, and news I normally wouldn't hear unless it's something close to me or affects my profession.
So thank you again!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky