"Requirements" for the carousel ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yup---I figured they leaned toward New Members these days, to get them more interested in staying, but I've seen a few guys get on it numerous times. I can't remember when one of mine was on last. I wouldn't put any of my Indoor Threads in either, but My Prime Ribs aren't even good enough any more. Oh well, I guess I'm just getting Old & Boring!!

Bear
Iagree bear. And FYI I will add the good ones to my rotating screen saver. Keeps me motivated.

Yup---I figured they leaned toward New Members these days, to get them more interested in staying, but I've seen a few guys get on it numerous times. I can't remember when one of mine was on last. I wouldn't put any of my Indoor Threads in either, but My Prime Ribs aren't even good enough any more. Oh well, I guess I'm just getting Old & Boring!!

Bear
John, as far as I'm concerned you will always be the 'King of Prime Rib' on SMF.

Last edited:
As was said different things appeal to different Mods an Admins so there really is no way to figure out what one of us might decide to feature. Personally I don't put them on very often anymore but once in awhile something will catch my eye and I think needs to be featured. It's not easy to decide what to feature and whatever we do feature people are thinking we're playing favorites or not featuring their thread that deserves to be there. I've had members PM me to tell me their thread should be featured and others asking me why I featured a particular thread

As was said different things appeal to different Mods an Admins so there really is no way to figure out what one of us might decide to feature. Personally I don't put them on very often anymore but once in awhile something will catch my eye and I think needs to be featured. It's not easy to decide what to feature and whatever we do feature people are thinking we're playing favorites or not featuring their thread that deserves to be there. I've had members PM me to tell me their thread should be featured and others asking me why I featured a particular thread
Wow! That's sad and pathetic...and I thought I didn't have much of a life. We live in the country, farm and raise pigs...not glorious but the way I was raised and is satisfying. That makes me appreciate the job all the mods do that much more! You all do a great job...thank you for that!

Ryan

As Piney said, we all have our different views on what should be featured. There are a few guys on here who put up threads almost everyday that deserve to be featured, but I think we all try to get as many different guys up there as possible, especially the new members. With all the good threads that are being posted it is getting harder to choose which one’s to feature. I too have received PM’s asking why a thread wasn’t featured. Once in a while you see a thread that just has to be featured, due to the unique content. But other than that, it’s just what catches a mod or admin’s eye.
Al

I had a Pinto when I was in college. I liked it! But I digress.

I have no issue with new members being featured. Just because they are new members does not mean that they cannot contribute. Frankly I applaud them.

What I can't figure out is how just pictures (without any tutorial or explanation) qualify.

Last edited:
Reactions: kilo charlie
I have no issue with new members being featured. Just because they are new members does not mean that they cannot contribute. Frankly I applaud them.

What I can't figure out is how just pictures (without any tutorial or explanation) qualify.

I agree... there's a need for some standards there.. but it's regular folks making these decisions and so far all the responses have appeared to be sound. I know I've seen some great write ups and photos that quickly disappeared off the main page as it's filled up too quickly with other posts.

I feel the format of this site is partly to blame... but it's not my site and I'm just a guest asking questions.

I had a Pinto when I was in college. I liked it! But I digress.

I agree... there's a need for some standards there.. but it's regular folks making these decisions and so far all the responses have appeared to be sound. I know I've seen some great write ups and photos that quickly disappeared off the main page as it's filled up too quickly with other posts.

I feel the format of this site is partly to blame... but it's not my site and I'm just a guest asking questions.

Guys , this is not a contest, every mod & admin has his own idea about what should be featured.. If your thread gets a ride on the carousel, that’s awsome, but if it doesn’t, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve to be on there. We are trying our best to be a fair as we can, but of course some great threads don’t make the cut & some that you may think shouldn’t be there do. If your on here a lot you know who puts up the best threads, but we (as in I ) don’t feel comfortable featuring the same guys over & over. So I may feature a thread from a newbie that may not be up to your standards, But I still remember the first time one of my threads was featured. I was absolutely thrilled. And that is what I want to pass on to the new guys!
Al

Last edited:
Hey Al ( and everyone else)

My intention was never to upset anyone especially the mods.. it was seeking to understand the process. I am satisfied with all the answers given and hope that those in the future can read this an understand as well.

That is all.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky