Replacement handle for a Manure Fork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I have a very old 14 tine Manure fork . It is called a Ensilage or Coal or Stone or Potato fork too ! It's shank is 3-3/4" long and it has a diameter of 3/4" x 1/2 " .. What size hole should be bored into the head of the replacement handle?? This is old and larger than the newer Chinese forks . I have only been able to locate handles with a 5/8" bore or less. I may have to trim some metal off the old fork to make it fit but I want to hear from any experts on this subject first... I have seen one online that is bored at 11/16 " . Anybody know what to do ???

Bore the hole 1/8'' larger than the shaft, take a Dremel tool and grind a few small notches in the shaft than coat the shaft and take something and push some JB Weld into the hole. Push the shaft onto the handle and twist is back and forth a few times , wipe off excess then let it set up for a day or two.

Reactions: poacherjoe
Bore the hole 1/8'' larger than the shaft, take a Dremel tool and grind a few small notches in the shaft than coat the shaft and take something and push some JB Weld into the hole. Push the shaft onto the handle and twist is back and forth a few times , wipe off excess then let it set up for a day or two.

That will definitly work. Just make sure to put plenty of JB or any other 2 part epoxy in the hole. You want to completely fill the hole around the shaft, with no voids. Then just clean up any excess.
Gary

Good advice .
Auto parts store can have a good selection of different types of 2 part epoxy's in smaller amounts .

Thanks for the response . Let me rephrase the question. If you were going to make a Custom handle for this fork what would an expert on this subject bore the hole size in the custom handle and what is the reasoning for it ??? The existing shank is 3/4" x 1/2" diameter. I am curious because I have seen no known chart that would correspond to the size of the bore vs the size of the shank. Maybe I am reinventing the rocket but I know that the old tools were built a lot stronger than all this Chinese junk and I think this shank is rather large. If I lived in Amish country I bet they have a blacksmith that has details.

I was always Partial to "PC7".
Mix 50% White & 50% Black---Turns Gray----Dries like a Rock.

Got a Dent & a hole in my '67 Dodge, while Archery hunting.
Got home by stopping every few miles & filling the hole with Bubble Gum.
Then I put a Sheet Metal screw in the hole, with a rubber washer.
Then mixed up some PC7, and filled the whole Dent.
The screw held the gasoline back long enough for the Epoxy to set up.
Never leaked a bit after that!!

Bear

If you were going to make a Custom handle for this fork what would an expert on this subject bore the hole size in the custom handle and what is the reasoning for it ??? The existing shank is 3/4" x 1/2" diameter. I am curious because I have seen no known chart that would correspond to the size of the bore vs the size of the shank.

Ok, now I think I know what you're asking. Here goes. I think what you're saying is that the shank isn't round--it's a rectangle 3/4 x 1/2", and there's no bit that will drill a rectangular hole.
So what you do is draw an outline of the shank in the center of the handle end. Then use a 1/2' bit and drill a hole into the handle to the depth of the shank. Drill this first hole just inside the outline at one end. Then continue to drill holes for the full 3/4" of the outline, keeping the holes as close together as possible (even overlapping each other if you can). then use a small square, triangular, or flat file to clean out all the wood inside the outline. You will now have a hole in the handle the exact size and shape of the shank. Do a bit more filing all around the outline so you have a bit of slop on all 4 sides of the shank when it is inserted. This will leave enough room to fill with epoxy so that there is good coverage of the entire shank and surrounding handle to fill with epoxy.
Before applying any epoxy, be sure to clean any rust, dirt, oil, and anything else, off the shank, so the epoxy will bond well with the metal.
Hope this is what you were trying to figure out and that it works for you. If not, well........you just learned how to fit a handle on a hidden tang knife. LOL :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky