Replace three with one?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larryfoster

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Peach Hill, Pa.
Thanks in advance for any insights.
I am not a "pitmaster" by any one's definition.
I grill multiple times a week from spring through fall and do a smoke several times a month.

I have a smaller Char-Broil gas grill, A Weber kettle and a Dyna-Glo Vertical offset smoker.

Smoking in the Dyna-Glo is a struggle even though I have made some tasty stuff.

I thought I would learn about pellet grills/smokers and stumbled on to the Masterbuilt Gravity Fed Hopper Smoker grills.
Specifically, the 1050

I thought that would be just the thing for all my needs.

Then I thought could/should I replace my other three with just this one.
It would free up room on my deck and selling the others would reduce the cost a little to justify to my wife who may kill me in my sleep.
To me, the biggest issue (other than having to sleep with one eye open) is the need for electric.
Being able to cook in a power outage.

About the only thing I might need the bigger Dyna-Glo for is smoking my baloney.
I make in 25# batches and had trouble getting all that in last time.

I like the precision temperature control and the ability to leave it for more than 1/2 hour or so to refuel.

I apologize for the rambling and appreciate your thoughts

Reactions: kruizer
On mine, the lid fits poorly and should re-gasket it.
Not sure mine is one of Weber's better quality pieces of workmanship

I bought a 1050 to upgrade/replace my WSM. I have a 2-burner Char-Broil gasser that I intend to keep. It is really small and is a great little grill for what it's meant to be. It's on and ready to go in under 5 minutes. The 1050 is really convenient, but not under 5 minute convenient.

My gasser will see A LOT less use now, but I won't be getting rid of it. It's great to have the convenience for quick weeknight dinners, and it's the backup plan in case a hurricane takes power out for a bit.

Reactions: PPG1
If it were me, I'd definitely keep the gasser. It's much more convenient to fire up a gas grill if all you intend to cook is a couple burgers or brats.

I bought a 1050 to upgrade/replace my WSM. I have a 2-burner Char-Broil gasser that I intend to keep. It is really small and is a great little grill for what it's meant to be. It's on and ready to go in under 5 minutes. The 1050 is really convenient, but not under 5 minute convenient.

My gasser will see A LOT less use now, but I won't be getting rid of it. It's great to have the convenience for quick weeknight dinners, and it's the backup plan in case a hurricane takes power out for a bit.
Could not agree more with this statement. I have the MB 560 model along with a 3 burner gasser. I love my MB but I'd seriously be looking at the CharBroil 980. I just have not seen alot of reviews on it yet.

Reactions: larryfoster
Thanks for your thoughts.

PPG1, I've seen the CharBroil 980 but the MB seems to have a lower temp setting for colder smoking.
Was hoping to put my hands on these but my Home Depot doesn't floor model them and Lowes doesn't have any of gravity hoppers

Its very possible for the 1050 to replace all three of those.

As for needing electricity. I've seen some on the Masterbuilt Gravity Feed Facebook group who've wired their MB to run off a 12 volt battery. They say its not hard to do.

But just me, I will always have a Kettle, even if I had to buy a new one.

Reactions: larryfoster
Was hoping to put my hands on these but my Home Depot doesn't floor model them and Lowes doesn't have any of gravity hoppers
Do you have more than one Home Depot in your area? I was able to find one with a 1050 assembled on the floor.

Do you have more than one Home Depot in your area? I was able to find one with a 1050 assembled on the floor.
Closest one is 30 miles away
Have to see if others in the area have one on the floor

PPG1, the Char Griller is $150 less.
Not sure about quality of either.

I'm 71 and would hope one of these would last me as long as I need one

I've got the MB 800, but also have a Weber Spirit gas grill. As others have said, the gas grill is so convenient for quick weeknight cooks.

The MB 800 draws very little power once up to temp and I've been powering it with a Power Dome portable battery pack almost exclusively. After one eight hour cook, the gauge said it still had 50% capacity (though I don't know how accurate that is).

My gas grill is pretty much out of the way so keeping it wouldn't be a problem.
The other two sit on my porch and need walked around

Just saw that MB has a 800 series that includes a flat iron grate
Can't seem to find any of them and MB has sold out on their site.

Just saw that MB has a 800 series that includes a flat iron grate
Can't seem to find any of them and MB has sold out on their site.
You can only get them thru Walmart. It appears that they're sold out online, but they're showing a couple available at a store near me (Seattle area).

Have had the 1050 since Jan and have used it for 4-5 times a week on everything from long brisket smokes to burgers. Love this beast ! The gasser has been like the Maytag repair man. I will keep it in case the wife decides to burn something. I'll probably never use it again. I haven't tried the battery pack but sure sounds interesting

Have had the 1050 since Jan and have used it for 4-5 times a week on everything from long brisket smokes to burgers. Love this beast ! The gasser has been like the Maytag repair man. I will keep it in case the wife decides to burn something. I'll probably never use it again. I haven't tried the battery pack but sure sounds interesting

I've been fascinated with the idea of the 800 since I saw that it came with a flat iron grate.

But I like size, too and the 1050 has that.

They do have the 850 in stock at the Walmart the next town over.

Any of them are an expense I have to consider

Good Morning. We love our 1050. Had it for about 9 months. No mods -except the new charcoal grate from Masterbuilt. ( we moved on from an electric smoker MES) We continue to use our Webber gas grill for grilling during the week or quick grills. My only complaint, not sure if its a fair complaint is the time it takes the 1050 to cool down to cover it. Although I'm getting better at adding just the right amount of fuel so that help. Doing bacon this weekend for the first time.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky