Replace chimney with vent?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwsmoko

Original poster
Mar 4, 2021
Hey all, I recently bought a Camp Chef Smokepro SG24. Im pretty happy with the grill, so far, but have one issue with it...the chimney position on the back. If you own this grill or one like it you know its flattened off on the back instead of rounded like Treager. When Im not using it, I want to store it against the wall on my patio but I cant because the damn chimney with cap sticks out the back about 1/2 a foot. I know this is nit picking but it really bugs me. So, has anyone removed the chimney and replaced with old style pin wheel BBQ vent or some other means of venting? I cant find a pin wheel style that might fit. Do I even need a vent or chimney on a pellet grill?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have the camp chef and I agree the stack is bulky. You definitely need to have a chimney, the whole unit needs to draft like a fireplace or the smoke flows back through the pellet hopper. As far as using a flat grill over the hole, I don't see that being an issue. The stack is nice to direct the smoke better imo.

My 2 cents
Corey

The "chimney effect" is created by heat rising. The heat rising creates a low pressure sucking more air up and out of the chimney. This airflow will prevent the smoke from building up, stagnating, and creating a very bitter smoke taste.

So unfortunately if you remove it, you might end up regretting it. Good luck!

Cover the back vent and add a stack to the top of the unit.
While you're at it add a damper to the stack.

I appreciate everyone's input so far but, I think those saying you definitely need a chimney on a pellet grill are blowing smoke (pun intended) :emoji_wink:. My box smoker didnt have a chimney, just a pinwheel vent on the back mainly used to adjust temperature. Pit Boss and others are building pellet smokers without chimneys and even Treagers high end Timberline series doesn't have a chimney. The laws of physics would dictate all that's needed is a way to draw and vent inside air/smoke to the outside. Since there's a fan inside, there doesn't need to be any outside ambient air movement to pull smoke out and since the fan also feeds the flame, no outside air is being sucked in to keep it burning. Besides, Im not looking to eliminate the venting process, I was just hoping someone had discovered a sleeker alternative to the chimney without cutting any holes in my new smoker. Thanks again...

Reactions: forktender
I appreciate everyone's input so far but, I think those saying you definitely need a chimney on a pellet grill are blowing smoke (pun intended) :emoji_wink:. My box smoker didnt have a chimney, just a pinwheel vent on the back mainly used to adjust temperature. Pit Boss and others are building pellet smokers without chimneys and even Treagers high end Timberline series doesn't have a chimney. The laws of physics would dictate all that's needed is a way to draw and vent inside air/smoke to the outside. Since there's a fan inside, there doesn't need to be any outside ambient air movement to pull smoke out and since the fan also feeds the flame, no outside air is being sucked in to keep it burning. Besides, Im not looking to eliminate the venting process, I was just hoping someone had discovered a sleeker alternative to the chimney without cutting any holes in my new smoker. Thanks again...
They may not all have a chimney but they all have an exhaust!

Reactions: fwsmoko
I sealed my smoker with high heat gasket so if my stack gets full of creosote and can't pass air I get smoke through my pellet hopper and heating up to a dangerous level. So I guess if you have enough air leaks around the lid it's fine but mine is sealed up so I have to be diligent with cleaning the stack. Definitely not BS'ing you on that one.

Corey

That is exactly right, pellet cookers work under positive pressure due to the electric fan so all that is needed is a way for the pressure/smoke to escape.
It won't make a bit of difference whether it's through a stack or a hole on the side of the smoker. The stack is mainly to keep the wind out of these cookers or else they would just be the weber spin type vents. Plus the stack looks like a traditional smoker to help with sales.

Reactions: denny
I sealed my smoker with high heat gasket so if my stack gets full of creosote and can't pass air I get smoke through my pellet hopper and heating up to a dangerous level. So I guess if you have enough air leaks around the lid it's fine but mine is sealed up so I have to be diligent with cleaning the stack. Definitely not BS'ing you on that one.

Corey
Cut the slotted grates out of the inside of the fire box and the creosote issue will drastically be reduced. I could never figure out why they slotted the vent going to the stack that makes absolutely zero sense.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky