Rendering Brisket Fat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nayston

Original poster
May 7, 2021
Planning to smoke a brisket flat tomorrow. It’s small only about 6 lbs. I don’t have any tallow, but was wondering if I could save the trimmings, put them in a foil basket and render them down next to the brisket. Then when I go to wrap it, pour the rendered fat on the paper.

Would that work or be gross as the liquefied fat coagulates at cooler temps?

not sure about this plan. but i dont wrap my briskets either so thats kinda my deal. Sorry not much help there.

Rendering the fat in a pan in the smoker will work, and it will take on a darker color and smoky flavor.... about like catching drippings in a drip pan. It might be too strong for some.

I like this guys approach, but I think giving the fat an hour or two in the smoker first would be a nice subtle flavor.

you can render it down in a crock pot too.. that way it doesn't cool down too much when you're ready to use it. If you have left over, pot it in a glass container and let it solidify.. can be used in all sorts of things from frying potatoes to well.. anywhere you'd use extra fat.

Planning to smoke a brisket flat tomorrow. It’s small only about 6 lbs. I don’t have any tallow, but was wondering if I could save the trimmings, put them in a foil basket and render them down next to the brisket. Then when I go to wrap it, pour the rendered fat on the paper.

Would that work or be gross as the liquefied fat coagulates at cooler temps?

If you trim any considerable amount of fat (1-2 pounds) you can put in a foil pan in the smoker and it will render it down for you.

I smoke briskets over a foil pan and put trimmed fat into the foil pan and it renders down and also catches juices and rendered fat from the brisket above it. You can use that tallow for whatever you want. It's smoked, and the foil pan keeps your smoker cleaner :)

I put the fat on a rack above the brisket and let it render & baste the brisket while it cooks if I’m doing a full packer. If your doing just a flat I would recommend reading this thread.
Here is how I set up my smoker for a full packer.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky