Reindeer & Springbok

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

napalm

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
South Coast - England
I know its sort of the wrong category but I thought it'd be the closest!

A supermarket nearby has started stocking Reindeer and Springbok steaks. I believe it is only steaks and no other cuts yet. I'm going to pick up a load of packets tonight (incase they stop selling it!) and cant wait to get it home.

I've tried just fried Reindeer but never Springbok, and I've never tried cooking either and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any recipes and ways of grilling, frying and (of course) smoking. 

I'll post up some pictures in a couple of days when I get to give it a chance (possibly Wednesday) and a little report on how I find it for those that haven't tried it before. 

TIA,

Alex

I'm not sure about these two specifically but if they are like most other wild game (Venison, Elk, etc) there isn't any marbling of fat in the meat so when you smoke it the meat tends to dry out. You can get around dry meat by using injections, marinades, wrapping in bacon etc. and you usually want to take the internal temp to a medium temp as you don't want it over done.Our favorite way to fry out venison is to soak in an equal mixture of soy, Worcestershire, teriyaki and a touch of garlic and onion powder then coat in flower, shore lunch or any of your favorite breding and cook them about 3 minutes a side just so they are still a little pink in the middle.

This is the way I do my venison, I take the steaks and soak them in a cooler with ice and water until the water is clear of any blood. This will take several times of draining the red water and adding fresh clean water, depending on the size,thickness of the steaks it could take a couple of days! Once the water runs clear of any blood, I then marinate overnite with moore's,soy sauce, black pepper. You can add any spices you like. I smoke them around 275* until internal temp reaches 160* Once this T-Day is over I will try to post step by step recipe! Hope this helps!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky