Regulator/Needle Valve Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daebado

Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
i have been interested in adding a needle valve to my SH 38202G not because it gets too hot or stays too cool but because it is very hard to tell when you have actually made a change when turning the knob. It is just very loose-feeling and I am usually trying to make fine-tuning adjustments and I honestly can't tell if I did anything unless I just watch the temp for a while and see if it changes.

With all that being said, I have done a lot of searching on these forums and can't figure out if I need a low pressure regulator or a high pressure regulator. I see equal opinions either way and I wouldn't think that both could be correct! SH rates this particular unit at about 20,000 BTU's if that's any help.

Thanks!

Bayou classic
b3812734-d412-4e55-92fa-2adb62d90522-jpeg.381937

20,000 BTU is about 5,800 watts.... that's MORE than enough.... You do not need a high pressure regulator... Maybe on a 100,000 BTU shrimp boil cooker....
The low pressure will have better adjustment in the low end range you are looking for....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky