Refrigerated Mashed Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MileHighSmokerGirl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Denver, CO
Refrigerator Mash Potatoes

Use half of a 5 lb bag of potatoes
1 - 8 ounce pkg of cream cheese
1 - 8 ounce container of sour cream
2 teaspoons of onion salt - found in the spice aisle
1/2 teaspoon of regular salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon regular pepper

Cook potatoes until tender, Drain the water, and with an electric blender mash until smooth. Add rest of ingredients. Beat until smooth. Place in a sprayed casserole dish. Put thin slices of butter (1/2 stick) into the mash potatoes. Cover and put in the refrigerator for at least four hours. This gets all the flavors to integrate better. When ready to bake place in an oven of 350 degrees for 45 minutes. This makes alot of mash potatoes so you might want to try and half the recipe.

mp3.jpg

mp4.jpg

mp2.jpg

mp1.jpg

These refrigerated mashed potatoes are the best I have ever had and they go perfectly with any bbq or smoked meat.

Nice recipe, We have been doing these with a very similar recipe for Thanksgiving for couple of years. Wife adds some chives. Saves making then on thanksgiving day, allowing more time to visit. This year we made 2 days ahead of time with a whole 5 pound bag of potatoes.

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
Although we don’t do potatoes we do for guests. I’ll have my wife try these for our Christmas gathering. Bet they are yummy, I know she uses some cream cheese in hers too.

Those look great, and being able to do them ahead of time is great for a big family meal when time is always short.

Just always be careful with food safety when it comes to cooked potatoes. While raw taters can be stored for a very long time, cooking them destroys some enzyme in them that protects them from decay. Once cooked, potatoes are incredibly vulnerable to spoilage.

Be sure to get taters out of the "danger zone" as quickly as possible after cooking. And then keep them cold until serving or quickly reheating. They recommend dicing and plunging them into ice water immediately after cooking.

I've read that what makes people sick at picnics from potato salad is NOT store-bought mayonnaise, which always has preservatives, but the potatoes themselves, which are often not handled correctly during preparation, and not kept cold enough during transportation and at the picnic.

Apparently, a cooked potato is a fantastic petri dish of agar agar.

Those look great, and being able to do them ahead of time is great for a big family meal when time is always short.

Just always be careful with food safety when it comes to cooked potatoes. While raw taters can be stored for a very long time, cooking them destroys some enzyme in them that protects them from decay. Once cooked, potatoes are incredibly vulnerable to spoilage.

Be sure to get taters out of the "danger zone" as quickly as possible after cooking. And then keep them cold until serving or quickly reheating. They recommend dicing and plunging them into ice water immediately after cooking.

I've read that what makes people sick at picnics from potato salad is NOT store-bought mayonnaise, which always has preservatives, but the potatoes themselves, which are often not handled correctly during preparation, and not kept cold enough during transportation and at the picnic.

Apparently, a cooked potato is a fantastic petri dish of agar agar.

you put them in the fridge to marinate for 4 hours (or overnight), then you cook them and serve them and eat them. These are served hot, not cold.

Any leftovers should go in tupperware and to the fridge and then can be reheated in the oven safely or in the microwave.

if you plan to serve these at a picnic, make them normally, but put them in a foil pan and let them marinate overnight and cook them over a fire at the picnic for 30-45 minutes or until done. I wouldn't cook them the night before then take them and re-heat on the fire.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky