Refreezing Once Frozen Meats after Cure and Cold Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mountainhawg

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Mountains of Western NC
I have always gone by the "do not refreeze once frozen raw meats" rule. I am currently brining with Cure #1 8 pork chops which I plan on cold smoking (under 80F) to make "smoked" (ham like) pork chops. I plan on saving a few out for eating right away but refreezing the remainder. Is this a safe practice or should I bring the chops I plan for freezing up to 140 degrees for safety sake?

Thank you,

Gil

Gil you can freeze them. Between the Cure and the Smoke any bacteria will have been reduced if not eliminated completely. Follow the usual sanitation practices and Vac-pac or wrap well and freeze. When ready to use thaw in the refer and cook as desired...JJ

Last edited:
Anytime...JJ

I have always gone by the "do not refreeze once frozen raw meats" rule. I am currently brining with Cure #1 8 pork chops which I plan on cold smoking (under 80F) to make "smoked" (ham like) pork chops. I plan on saving a few out for eating right away but refreezing the remainder. Is this a safe practice or should I bring the chops I plan for freezing up to 140 degrees for safety sake?

Thank you,

Gil
How long will you brine the pork chops? I used to buy bone in brined pork chops at a butcher shop and would like to try this also. They are very tasty.

How long will you brine the pork chops? I used to buy bone in brined pork chops at a butcher shop and would like to try this also. They are very tasty.
This is just my first attempt with the chops but I plan on a 8 day brine which ends Saturday. The chops are about 1/2-3/4 inch thick.Then a 24 dry down in the fridge with a light 4 to 6 hour cold smoke.. I believe I read that for bacon it's 2 days per 1/4 inch then 2 days for safety, so that's my guideline.  

What was to be a 7 day brine turned into a 91/2 day due to a shortage of jerky which my wife said had priority, LOL! Anyway I took them out of the brine this morning and soaked them in fresh water for 1/2 hour with a change of water at 15 minutes. I think their color actually improved with the extra 21/2 days. I will let them dry today before a short 2-3 hour cold smoking tomorrow using cherry and apple. 

I fried up a small piece and it turned a nice hammy pink vs a more rusty red, a bit lighter than I expected. This was fresh frozen pork straight from the farm so I don't know if that had any affect on color.  It was not salty (I brined at the low end of the salt allowance) and just picked up a slight sweet flavor from the sugars.

Last edited:

Thank you,

Gil
what style brine did you use on the chops?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky