Reflectix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigt1087

Original poster
Apr 8, 2020
Hey all,

I've seen on several sights and a few forums posts that people use reflectix to wrap their smokers to help with temp flux in different weather.
So I go and buy some and I notice the heat rating only goes up to 180F. I kind of assume the metal doesnt actually get that hot but, out of curiosity, I looked at their other products and it's all made the same (the double reflective). My concern is that it might catch fire or melt.
Can anyone advise? What the hottest your smoker has gone wrapped in reflectix?

What type of smoker are you wrapping? I wrapped MES 40 and have zero issues as the outside does not get hot.

welcome to the forum

It's a master built pro. The big tall one. I also need to do something to the inside of it. Is the high heat ceramic paint good to use?

I would wire brush/sand it back down to the metal and re season it like you would a new smoker.
I started doing that anyway. Then I got lovely thoughts of my favorite color and I've read that the paint coats could also help with heat transfer, so I figured I'd ask If anyone else has done it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky