Ref; Thanksgiving Ham and a Pellet Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Well, pulled the ham out of Foam's brine yesterday and into the smoker it went today. As always I have my concerns I screwed things up etc etc, but I saw no indication of it being off. So in the smoker it went!

I saved these pellets aside specifically to use on a ham. They are a Rosemary/Basil/Thyme flavoured pellet from Lumberjack. Now I don't know if they especially smell like that, given it's about 32f outside, and I wasn't planning to stand in the cold to try and smell the smoke. But come thanksgiving/sooner. <Probably tonight, given my dad will at some point just cut into it to try it ill regardless> I will provide any sort of information on how they impart flavour. They lit easily, and are so far, going fine.

Link to Foam's thread on Pork Butt ham:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/butt-hocks-foamheart.279522/

Attachments

• 20181119_112615.jpg
    20181119_112615.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20181119_112631.jpg
    20181119_112631.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 47
I only got two pics peachey because I took one of the ham before in the smoker, and the pellets.

I did try to get a hit of the smoke; it has some vaguely herb scent to it..but when it's almost freezing out, smelling isn't so great. I did note the garlic ones, when it was warmer, did smell a bit like garlic. I am inclined to guess Adler is what they use for these blended pellets.

I only got two pics peachey because I took one of the ham before in the smoker, and the pellets.

I did try to get a hit of the smoke; it has some vaguely herb scent to it..but when it's almost freezing out, smelling isn't so great. I did note the garlic ones, when it was warmer, did smell a bit like garlic. I am inclined to guess Adler is what they use for these blended pellets.

Well I guess I will have to be patient and wait for some finished pics.

So it started doing flurries last night actually and it was to dark for an in the smoker shot. So I have no pictures before it was finished. I forgot to post them last night, my bad!

It sure smelled good, so perhaps the pellets will make a difference. Milder smoke flavour then expected, so I think I might be right in thinking they use Adler for these.

Attachments

• 20181119_200243.jpg
    20181119_200243.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20181119_200256.jpg
    20181119_200256.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: ab canuck
Tom They look good!!! Bet they smell great and will taste great. Like for sure...
Sorry; it's just one. Just two angles!

I might start doing this every other month if the bone can be used for stock or some thing. If I remember to do it.

Thanks Peachey!

Ham went well; every one liked it. The big thing is when reheating in the oven, it smelled amazing, so I'm thinking the rosemary pellets at any rate make a very wonderful Aroma. Flavour wise...ham is ham. Hard to judge the flavour for some thing so mild. Maybe in a less robust profile like fish this would have been noticable, or chicken. I'll need to experiment on how much flavour it imparts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky