Ref; Second Brisket..go!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Just got a brisket in about 20 mins ago, MES set at 250f...got a full AMNPS of Pitboss Competition blend, which in theory will go through with out a hitch. <Lets be fair, thats the part that might not work out. I've had pellets decide to all ignite at once it seems, or fizzle out at a corner>.

I'm also making Jeff's Bacon and Pulled Pork Mac n Cheese <sans the pulled pork>. I'm -hoping- to get every thing done around 6 PM tommorrow..in theory. Relatives were told 6 PM, but if it's not ready..well. Not much I can do. Seeing as it's pretty dark out, I am foregoing pictures of it in the smoker at night!

I also didn't use a mustard base..just rubbed SPOG on one side, sit in the fridge for 45 mins or so..SPOG on the other side..45 mins or so, then onto the preheated smoker.

Have fun with that brisket Tom, Looks like you have a plan. You don't have an electric knife? I think we've accumulated 3 or 4 over the years.

Chris

No..no sadly I lack an electric knife..largely because we forget to get one every time we go to a place that sells them..

and Just snapped this picture ...I gotta resight my thermal probe after breakfast...196f. ..12 hours at 250f, but this thing was about 13 pounds, I'm surprised it's that high..turned the heat down to 225f so I can have a little breathing space and wake up before handling hot metal etc. That and it seems it'll be done about 3 hours earlier then I had expected.

Attachments

• 20180811_103612.jpg
    20180811_103612.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: doughboyb
Alright so it's at 196f still...and going probe tender in alot of it. Any one else think some thing is wrong here? Like I don't believe it's done already <Well not quite done, but you know what I mean>... am I going to end up pulling it early, and discover it toughens up on me? And damn dinner isn't for 6 more hours.... Oi!

Just cut back the smoker temp about 25 degrees & let it ride.
Al
I'm just holding at 225f. Hard to tell if I'm meeting resistance or knocking the thermal probe or going through to a grate. Guess I shoulda said 4 or 5 .. lol.

** Also this is..odd to me; it was at 196f. I put it down to 225f now for the last hour..two hours. And it's at 191f. No matter how much I cook, when I start watching ITs I notice these oddities. I double checked with an instant read thermometer and unless both my thermal probe and that are broken, it's accurate. So weird! **

Last edited:
I pulled the brisket out a while ago, forgot to take a picture as I started prepping mac and cheese...

I used a carribean style general spice for the mac n cheese over an actual rub..and I mixed half the bacon into the cheese sauce.

Attachments

• 20180811_151924.jpg
    20180811_151924.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180811_151521.jpg
    20180811_151521.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 23
I don't think this mac and cheese even needs smoke to be good! Unreal! Half the pan or more is gone!

As for the Brisket..so much fat on it, probably 1/3 of that weight is fat I coulda trimmed off if I had a proper blade, but I was frustrated with trying for a half hour with out success before I gave up. So there's alot of fat we pulled away from the meat, not a big deal, every one liked it and my uncle said the last time he had brisket that tender was in Brazil at a steak house down there. <Chirauso or how ever they spell it.>

Aunt brought a zucchini chocolate pecan cake for dessert, very good. Also a big bucket of blackberries so I'll be doing me some blackberry pie with buttermilk crust soon!

Attachments

• 20180811_175054.jpg
    20180811_175054.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180811_180516.jpg
    20180811_180516.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 21
Next time you make it down to oshkosh check out Krumenauer restaurant supply store. It's right off of 41 by 9th Ave. They have some nice knives for decent prices. I've been eyeing up a nice 13in slicer there...
you could also check the kitchen supply store at the outlet mall.

Next time you make it down to oshkosh check out Krumenauer restaurant supply store. It's right off of 41 by 9th Ave. They have some nice knives for decent prices. I've been eyeing up a nice 13in slicer there...
you could also check the kitchen supply store at the outlet mall.
..I also had no idea they existed before now. LOL. This is open to the public?

..I also had no idea they existed before now. LOL. This is open to the public?

Yep, have tons of restaurant quality tools and products. It's a great place for marinating tubs, shakers, tongs, really any tools you would need. they also have consumables like to-go containers and napkins. I found it when I was looking for homebrewing stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky