Ref; New Group Lead

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Well guys, I stepped up to the plate to be a group lead. As I understand these forums used to have groups in a much different manner, but I still believe an active member as a group lead is a good thing. I'm hoping to get some events going on for Wisconsin over time as we all figure out our schedules and mutual likes in this crazy addiction that is BBQ And Smoking food.

For those unaware, Neenah is in the Fox Valley, between Appleton and Oshkosh WI, so people get a better idea of where I actually live. <If you remember the fact Neenah is teased in a song, even better!>. I know several members have said they live in this area, but I am largely unsure where other active WI members are.

I know right now it's pretty much impossible to go outside due to those pesky mosquitos but in a few weeks the temperatures should be lower and they won't be bugging us much. To that end, I'd like to take a page from the man who encouraged me to step up and start planning a meet up to cold smoke cheese.

If any one has property outside of town proper and is interested, please get in touch. I'd like to plan this out so we can get together for an afternoon, every one gets some cheese cold smoked and gets to meet each other, maybe we'll do some ribs or just throw burgers on a grill. Nothing to elaborate of fancy yet.

I look forward to hearing from every one and trying to coordinate a meet up! Lets try to get this going and give those other states a run for their money!

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
I like it tom!

Get an event going over there in badger country! Just don’t steal our fattie Thunder! Lol!

Scott

Congratulations Tom, maybe some day we can have smoked cheese competition between our states. Although there aren't enough members from VT yet to warrant a group, but it is growing slowly.

Chris

I hear you chris. The member group from our state is more of a “I’ll sign up because I’m from MI” rather than a “I want to go to events and meet other bbq enthusiasts from my state”.

I PM people all year trying to get them to enter or just come by and check out our fattie competition each year. Not a ton of luck. But the MI members who have made it out almost always come back and some have become friends that hang out regularly.

@chocdog and I went good hunting all last weekend. And we just met last year at the Michigan fattie contest.

I wish you luck tom. It isn’t easy getting people to attend. But when they do they’ll come back. We have 6-7 regulars now from this forum.

congratulations Tom, @zippy12 got our updated Rules you emailed us. we are almost done reading them

I like it tom!

Get an event going over there in badger country! Just don’t steal our fattie Thunder! Lol!

Scott
I think I'd be incredibly hard pressed to beat that Brother. Maybe I can bring some more WI SMF members into the thing over time, make it an annual interstate challenge ;)

Congratulations Tom, maybe some day we can have smoked cheese competition between our states. Although there aren't enough members from VT yet to warrant a group, but it is growing slowly.

Chris
All I can think is Vermont white Cheddar... WI may be the cheese state but we surely aren't the only ones with good cheese!

I hear you chris. The member group from our state is more of a “I’ll sign up because I’m from MI” rather than a “I want to go to events and meet other bbq enthusiasts from my state”.

I PM people all year trying to get them to enter or just come by and check out our fattie competition each year. Not a ton of luck. But the MI members who have made it out almost always come back and some have become friends that hang out regularly.

@chocdog and I went good hunting all last weekend. And we just met last year at the Michigan fattie contest.

I wish you luck tom. It isn’t easy getting people to attend. But when they do they’ll come back. We have 6-7 regulars now from this forum.
You know if I ever take snagged up my hunting license again and dusted off what I need for hunting, think I could get in on a weekend of hunting with ya? That is one thing I never did get to try is fowl hunting!

As for every one else! Thank you! Now I just hope I can get my fellow WI members interested in a smoked cheese fest!

Best of luck in this adventure Tom. It took c farmer and my self over a year to even create interest in the one in Pa. I started out asking members from Md, De, NJ and Pa worked it hard to build an interest before it started coming to fruition. Probably only because c farmer offered his place to hold it. We are holding the 2nd one the first weekend in Oct.
So basically what I'm saying is don't give up.

Warren

Best of luck in this adventure Tom. It took c farmer and my self over a year to even create interest in the one in Pa. I started out asking members from Md, De, NJ and Pa worked it hard to build an interest before it started coming to fruition. Probably only because c farmer offered his place to hold it. We are holding the 2nd one the first weekend in Oct.
So basically what I'm saying is don't give up.

Warren
It would help if we lived in the country, envy you folk who do. I have this amusing vision of 20 smokers in my backyard firing up various rigs and the fire department showing up and we'd need to share brisket LOL

For sure same here that's one way of finding out if my neighbor is home fire up the smoker and here he comes.

Warren
Honestly surprised they haven't asked why mine is used so often. They know I do regular dishes like pulled pork on it, but I don't know if they know I'm also doing bacon ;)

All I can think is Vermont white Cheddar... WI may be the cheese state but we surely aren't the only ones with good cheese!

Your thinking of Cabot, who also make anything from cheddar to hot habanero. We also have a ton of artisan types spread throughout the state. Between the cheese and the syrup I'm surprised VT is considered one of the more healthy states.

Chris

Your thinking of Cabot, who also make anything from cheddar to hot habanero. We also have a ton of artisan types spread throughout the state. Between the cheese and the syrup I'm surprised VT is considered one of the more healthy states.

Chris
Well it is known across the USA for Syrup at least, less so for cheese, but every one loves Cabot white cheddar.

My next door neighbor lives in Neenah. He only comes down here for vacations. He is a HR manager at Kimberly Clark.
Al

Count me in for WI Tom!! Haven’t done cheese yet, but I’m a die hard pork guy! I’ve got a guy that works for me that’s got a place that could hold darn near a festival of people I could probably persuade to let us congregate at his place for some beer and meat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky