Ref; Gyro Hash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Well I have recently met up with JC in GB and we split an order from GFS on Gyro meat after doing a cheese run to cold smoke the cheese etc. <I'll drop the pics here of the sealed cheese>.

But the gyro meat is awesome and it got me to thinking of hash with it, has any one ever made hash with gyro meat before? This is stuff made off the giant cones, and sliced and pre cooked, you are just reheating and crisping to your preferred level. I don't think there was any fat content to speak of I could discern, I had to drizzle oil into my wok <I used my hot wok for the high sear to get it quickly heated and crisped a bit>.

It tastes just like the stuff I had over seas, so that was a plus, and it didn't break the bank for the 5 pounds I got either.

<I also made smoked mac and cheese and about 9 pounds of chicken breasts on the smoker that were on sale at GFS for a buck a pound or so..can't really turn that down!>

Attachments

• 20190916_122329.jpg
    20190916_122329.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 68
Awesome. I am having gyros for dinner tonight. I will let you know what I think of the meat. It looks very good. You already allayed my fears of it being greasy so now I am looking forward to it even more. :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

As far as the gyro hash, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't turn out fantastic!!

Never made hash with it, but have bought GFS gyro meat myself and totally love using it for breakfast. Can't convert family to gyros. Wife shuns because of the lamb.

Coming from Chicago and now living 45 minutes from Tarpon Springs, I can say I've had some of the best gyro meat in the states. When I was in Greece and Turkey they were incredibly similar to what I've had here. I love to put it on an everything bagel and top it with a sunny side up egg! Argh, you guys got me crazy thinking about this. Sounds like you BOTH came up winners. Congratulations. Good thing is my wife loves them too. But she very particular about the Taziki sauce. She says it has to have lots of cucumber and garlic. Gotta love her.
Don

Coming from Chicago and now living 45 minutes from Tarpon Springs, I can say I've had some of the best gyro meat in the states. When I was in Greece and Turkey they were incredibly similar to what I've had here. I love to put it on an everything bagel and top it with a sunny side up egg! Argh, you guys got me crazy thinking about this. Sounds like you BOTH came up winners. Congratulations. Good thing is my wife loves them too. But she very particular about the Taziki sauce. She says it has to have lots of cucumber and garlic. Gotta love her.
Don

I agree with the sauce, I got spoiled when I visted europe by all the locally made ones I got to have...but for meat, I won't complain! <At least till I get the notion in my head to put the notion in JC's head we should try to make our own together...and well...from there we'll figure it out!>

Reactions: JC in GB
Tell me of this GFS gyro meat. Was this something you walked in and bought from one of their stores? Did it have to be ordered? What kind of price was it?

I was going to ask the same thing. I haven't had a decent Gyro since leaving Europe 30 years ago.

Are you guys talking about Gordon Food Service?
https://gfsstore.com/

And there is one in Buffalo. And guess where I'm going today. Veery interesting.

Is this what you bought?

gyro.jpg

Last edited:
Are you guys talking about Gordon Food Service?
https://gfsstore.com/

And there is one in Buffalo. And guess where I'm going today. Veery interesting.

Is this what you bought?

View attachment 406267

No, it was not pre formed slices. It was cooked meat shaved off the cone. A few minutes in the frying pan with some water brought it right to life.

I wanted to eat 2 gyros for dinner but couldn't justify the extra calories. They were quite tasty.

Tell me of this GFS gyro meat. Was this something you walked in and bought from one of their stores? Did it have to be ordered? What kind of price was it?

I have a GFS account and do almost all of my purchases through online ordering. It really is convenient to have you order boxed up for you when you arrive. :emoji_sunglasses: Also, the selection online is far greater than in the store.

It was $53.99 for 2 - 5lb bags of frozen meat.

Olympia Foods Beef & Lamb Gyro Meat, Sliced off the Spit, Cooked, Frozen, 5 Lb Bag, 2/Case
GFS Item Number: 199963

199963-RAW_04_1520864577000.jpg

199963-PKG_04_1520864576000.jpg

Hope these pics worked...

JC :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

Reactions: Steve H
No, it was not pre formed slices. It was cooked meat shaved off the cone. A few minutes in the frying pan with some water brought it right to life.

I wanted to eat 2 gyros for dinner but couldn't justify the extra calories. They were quite tasty.

I was hoping it wasn't this! I'll keep looking.

I think it's sort of on you to be truthful on the business part..to be fair..

I just let JC do the order on this one. I'm not sure how they don't check on it. I suppose really, they likely don't care that some one at home is ordering online. It's money in their till, what does it matter if some one at home is ordering a case or not, right?

But it was as JC said, the stuff shaved off a cone precooked. Very good stuff!

I think it's sort of on you to be truthful on the business part..to be fair..

I just let JC do the order on this one. I'm not sure how they don't check on it. I suppose really, they likely don't care that some one at home is ordering online. It's money in their till, what does it matter if some one at home is ordering a case or not, right?

But it was as JC said, the stuff shaved off a cone precooked. Very good stuff!

As a contract chef in Wisconsin, I don't need a license to be a legitimate business. Also, I signed up at GFS as Packers and Ribs BBQ team. I was very upfront about my business intents. So short answer no. Just give yourself a team name or business name and you are set.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky