Ref; Chuck Roasts - Need Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Alright I got two chuckies, about the same weight, I'm doing the rub routine right now and plan to get them going shortly. One will be burnt ends, which I understand just fine.

But what about pulled beef? Do you need to wrap/foil? I never have foiled/wrapped a pork butt or brisket before, will the chuck roast just end up dried out if I don't do this step? I know it's basically brisket for telling when finished, but I was hoping to avoid wrapping, since it's a hassle and I don't ever do it otherwise, even for ribs now.

The only time ive had GREAT Chuck roast in a smoker, Ive wrapped it at 145 and pulled it out at 195. I put some beer in the wrap as some more rub. Comes out like BUTTER!

I've always wrapped mine but you don't have to, I know some people here don't. I like to do the wrap in a pan just so I can make some nice jus because I don't have the ability to catch the drippings in my setup. I add some red wine, beef stock and a rough chopped carrot, celery stalk and onion. Last week I did 6hrs in the smoke and panned for 2hrs to finish off. You have a couple hours to decide ;) And yes, for tenderness, probe it just like a butt or brisket. Check all over cuz there's several different muscle groups, one spot in my last one could have been a bit more tender but I missed it.

Thanks.

Right now I'm leaning towards wrapping after a few hours in the pan, I do have some red wine, and an onion would be nice, since I wanted to turn the pulled beef into 'Italian style' or some such. Throw in a bit of stock and bell pepper too maybe. The last time I tried to catch brisket drippings it was a disaster, maybe I'll do better with chuck roast LOL

Sounds like a plan. Be sure to get the pan up to temp before putting the meat in or it will stall a bit until the liquid heats up.

I have read (forgot where, was some time ago) to never use bell peppers when making stock or jus, something about the acid in them. Or maybe what I read was incorrect info but thought I'd give you a head's up.

Sounds like a plan. Be sure to get the pan up to temp before putting the meat in or it will stall a bit until the liquid heats up.

I have read (forgot where, was some time ago) to never use bell peppers when making stock or jus, something about the acid in them. Or maybe what I read was incorrect info but thought I'd give you a head's up.
Huh. I use them in instant pot recipes with out problems. Now we'll see what happens..!

I think one of my chuck roasts was cursed.

The burnt ends turned out fine, just the right amount of chew, tasted great!

The chuck roast I planned for pulled beef? I had that thing on there for 12.5 hours between 240-275. <I turned it up some at the end to try and get the temp up>... it never got past 174f IT. Supposedly, I don't overly think that was accurate based off the fact I got a different reading with my instant read, which was placed better.

So my plan? 15 minutes in the instant pot with the juices I had from foiling. I hope that works. Otherwise I ..claim it's a jinxed chuck roast.

Dang, how'd it end up? I'm amazed it didn't get past 174 after all that time, what size was the chuck?
Right? Even with being wrapped with liquid <The liquid was warm, but wasn't boiling when added> and I ended up adding more water as it cooked off because the sucker wasn't reading above 174f IT.

It was by raw weight 2.92 pounds, smaller then the burnt end chuck roast marginally. I'll post after the instant pot experiment for supper. It honestly makes no sense to me either. After 12 hours to only supposedly climb to 174f is crazy!

Well 25 mins in the instant pot later and it was some what pullable. I'm not sure any thing more would have helped, I think the chuckie was just tough.

It's also all gone though, so that is a good sign!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky