Red's Spare Ribs - First Run in the New Pit w/ Plenty of Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
Evening Friends!

I've been biding my time waiting to get something cooking in my new Southern Q gravity feed smoker, which arrived last week. Well, between Mrs. Red catching the flu late last week, and the weather not cooperating for a few days, today was my first chance. Just a couple racks of St. Louis Spares, but I was excited to finally get the chance to fire it up.

Just starting up the Southern Q. I got lucky and we had a pretty nice day for this time of year - temps in the mid 50's. And not much wind...which is rare in Oklahoma during February or March.

IMG_0430.JPG

While the smoker was coming up to temp I got the ribs trimmed up and rubbed with Spicy Apple Rub.

IMG_0436.JPG

I've got the Guru set at 250 today...these 2 shots show that the Guru's set temp and the temp on the Tell-Tru are pretty close - within 5 degrees.

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

2 racks going in...

IMG_0439.JPG

TBS rolling! I'm burning B&B Oak Briquettes...and apple wood chunks in the pan for smoke.

IMG_0444.JPG

3 hours in and I'm really liking the color...so I'm about to pull them and foil them for about an hour and a half.

IMG_0452.JPG

Nothing complicated in my foil prep...just 3 pats of butter and some Tiger Sauce in each foil pack.

IMG_0464.JPG

Done and plated, with a helping of green beans. No sauce...other than a little of the foil juice brushed on right before cutting. They were tender, moist and delicious!

IMG_0467.JPG

One closer look...

IMG_0469.JPG

So I count the maiden voyage of the new Southern Q a success! And Mrs. Red has slowly gotten over her flu, and started getting her appetite back yesterday...so she enjoyed to ribs too, which is the most important thing!

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out!

Red

Wow!
Looks good to me!
Hope Mrs. Red keeps feeling better!

Nice Maiden voyage!
Beautiful Smoker, love the slam/latch door!
And a blower!

Reactions: seenred
Wow!
Looks good to me!
Hope Mrs. Red keeps feeling better!

Nice Maiden voyage!
Beautiful Smoker, love the slam/latch door!
And a blower!

Thank you Sonny, and thanks for the like! That slam latch is very handy when you go to the pit with your hands full. Makes it easier to get in and out quickly without the danger of dropping your dinner on the shop floor...:emoji_anguished:

Looks delicious. Hope Mrs. Red stays on the mend! Congratulations on the new smoker.

Thanks SL...very happy with it!

Looks awesome! Glad your wife is better!

Thank you DJ! She refuses to be sick, and so when she actually is (which is rarely), it pisses her off. She's a lot tougher than me...she tested positive for the flu virus on Saturday night at Urgent Care, and was back at work on Wednesday.

Red

Looks like you knocked that inaugural run out of the park! Great looking ribs and I’m sure they tasted even better than they looked! Like!

Weedeater

Yes very nice Red. I really like that smoker. I got a few slabs of ribs to cook myself today. I hope mine turn out as good as yours.

Looks like you knocked that inaugural run out of the park! Great looking ribs and I’m sure they tasted even better than they looked! Like!

Weedeater

Thanks Weedeater! Yeah...they were pretty tasty. Thank you for the like!

Yes very nice Red. I really like that smoker. I got a few slabs of ribs to cook myself today. I hope mine turn out as good as yours.

Thanks TK...looking forward to seeing yours...and thanks for the like!

Red

That is a wonderful smoker you have there man! Great work on the ribs. Lately I've been St. Louising mine and using the discard as a kind of burnt ends....yum! I do believe it is rib time the weekend.

Cheers!

Beautiful ribs! ...and I am getting real hungry... Like!

Thank you Pushok...I appreciate the like!

That is a wonderful smoker you have there man! Great work on the ribs. Lately I've been St. Louising mine and using the discard as a kind of burnt ends....yum! I do believe it is rib time the weekend.

Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I like to cook the trimming myself...mostly cuz it makes for a tasty snack for the cook! :emoji_wink:

Red

First run on the new pit, looks like a home run to me my friend! That new smoker looks great and those ribs look just awesome. Very nice cook!

Nice to hear the Mrs is feeling better!

First run on the new pit, looks like a home run to me my friend! That new smoker looks great and those ribs look just awesome. Very nice cook!

Nice to hear the Mrs is feeling better!

Thanks Buddy! She's all healed up. Thanks for the like my friend!

Nice smoker. Good looking ribs.

Thank you BT for the kind word and for the like!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky