Red's Ribs! A Simple, Single Rack of Baby Backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
Evening Friends!

It has occurred to me that I haven't posted any q-view in quite some time. Since I was smoking a rack of Baby Backs today, I figured I'd rectify that.

A little background story to go with the ribs. Mrs. Red lost her father just about this time a year ago. Since I had lost both my parents in 2021, her mother is our only surviving parent. She still lives in the house my wife grew up in - a couple hours away from where we now live. The MIL gets mighty lonesome all alone in that big ol' house...so she comes up and stays with us fairly often of late, usually for a few days at a time when she comes.

Now, she isn't shy to tell you (if you ask) that she just doesn't care for BBQ ribs, unless they're my smoked ribs. So when Mrs. Red let me know she was coming for a few days this week, I suggested I drag out the smoker and cook up a rack of baby backs.

Which gets us up to today. Here's the rack I'm smoking today. I did a little trimming and removed the membrane. Then seasoned liberally with Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub.

BB01.jpg

I haven't cooked on the big Southern Q Gravity Fed for a while. It's overkill for a single rack of ribs...but I fired it up anyway! Got some good smoke rolling, and got the ribs on .

bb02.jpg

Into the smoke...running the pit at *250, with hickory chunks in the fire box

bb03.jpg

About 2 hours in. Getting good color.

bb05.jpg

bb04.jpg

Now I prefer a firm rib with a little tug to it, but the women in my life prefer FOTB ribs...so you know I'm making them happy! At the 3 hour mark, I foiled the ribs with 3 or 4 pats of butter, some brown sugar, honey, and Tiger Sauce. Then back in the smoker to finish. I somehow managed to not get pics of this step...

After just under 2 hours in the foil, and they're done! Rested for a half hour. Here's a shot just before slicing and serving.

bb08.jpg

My plate, served with a helping of Mrs. Red's Corn Salad.

bb10.jpg

These were definitely FOTB...but very tasty. And the wife and MIL both raved about how good they were - which is the only part the matters to the pitmaster!

I made a happy plate! You can tell it's happy, cuz the bones are smiling at me!

bb11.jpg

That about wraps this one up...thanks for looking friends!

Red

Nice looking ribs! And a nice bowtie! I'm with you... like ribs with some bite... thankfully that's the way my wife likes them as well. But even better... making your wife and her mom happy!

Ryan

Reactions: seenred
Nice looking ribs! And a nice bowtie! I'm with you... like ribs with some bite... thankfully that's the way my wife likes them as well. But even better... making your wife and her mom happy!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! Yep - making the ladies happy is what it's all about!

Red

Red , those look fantastic . I can eat them either way . Like you said whatever gets the rest of them to eat some .
That corn salad looks interesting too .

The Wimmins were happy, all that matters. Ribs look great. Tell me more about this corn salad. That looks pretty darn good!

Jim

Red , those look fantastic . I can eat them either way . Like you said whatever gets the rest of them to eat some .
That corn salad looks interesting too .

The Wimmins were happy, all that matters. Ribs look great. Tell me more about this corn salad. That looks pretty darn good!

Jim

Thanks fellas! The corn salad is a family favorite, and couldn't be simpler:

2 cans corn, drained
1 whole bunch green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 cup shredded cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 bag Chili Cheese Fritos (9-10 oz)

Combine all ingredients, adding the corn chips right before serving so they stay crunchy.

Red

Beautiful ribs , Red !!

Thanks Mike!

Dang Red!! I may have to put that corn salad into rotation here. Easy and sounds great! Using your measurements about how much does it make?

Jim

Thanks Jim...we whip up some of this for most family gatherings. It's always a favorite.

I'd estimate it makes 6-8 servings, depending on who's scooping. When we're having a large gathering, Mrs. Red will add a 3rd can of corn.

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Those sure are some excellent looking ribs Red. I like FOTB once in a while.

Point for sure
Chris

Those sure are some excellent looking ribs Red. I like FOTB once in a while.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! TBH, I prefer firmer ribs but don’t mind FOTB now and then…but it’s the only way the ladies in my life will eat ‘em.

Red

Red, just awesome buddy… that is one top notch cook on them ribs! I’d have been all over a plate of them!

Very cool what you all do for your MIL, and for you to accommodate what she and the Mrs prefer… 👍🏼

Red, just awesome buddy… that is one top notch cook on them ribs! I’d have been all over a plate of them!

Very cool what you all do for your MIL, and for you to accommodate what she and the Mrs prefer… 👍🏼

Thanks Justin…sure appreciate it my friend! We try to watch out for her all we can…

Red

Fine looking rack of ribs Red. Beautiful color on those and came perfectly clean from the bone. I'm like you in that I prefer a little bit to the ribs. also like you, we gotta make the ladies happy and Tracy prefers FOTB. I lose that one every time :emoji_laughing:
she just doesn't care for BBQ ribs, unless they're my smoked ribs.
That's quite an honor and much deserved sir.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky