Red lined barrels

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So in order to remove the liner do I need to get the barrel hot beforehand? Has anyone tried to remove the liner using Comet and Scotchbrite *without* heating the liner first?

I have a line on some barrels for $20 each but they are lined. If I can remove the liner easily I'll go for it. I would rather remove the liner before I start welding on the barrel.

It's not easy but it can be done. I wouldn't bother with a burn, just throw on a half mask and take a couple of grinding disc's to it. Then make a commet paste and cover everything and use the grinder again. I had 3 barrels all with the orange coating and it took an afternoon to get them all cleaned out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky