Record Rain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
76" of rain so far for the year. Annual avg is 66". Most rain ever was 2016 when we had the flood (23-31" of rain over 4 days in the area) that year we got 91" of rain. We just might break that record as we still have a lot of year left to go and fall can be fairly wet around here.

One of the reasons for this pattern is the big fires in the NW. Apparently they are creating their own weather with a heat dome effect, thus a high pressure system sets up and the jet stream flows around it to the north, buckling and driving south along the eastern side of the Rockies. Been having lots of unstable weather this summer with days and days of rain....6-8" at a time.

Last edited:
Been really rough on tomatoes. 90% of the fruits are cracking on the vine and fruit flies are laying eggs on the green fruits so that they rot before they are ripe to pick. Been picking a lot early, but still lost most of them. Won't be making my salsa or tomato sauce this season which is a bummer. Oh well, there is always next season....

That's rough. We had unusual rain a couple years ago and the garden did not do well. This Summer has been great. 80°F days and mid 50's at night...JJ

LOL.... I have about 3 acres of property, its all usually beautifully mowed and manicured. It's only been cut 5 time this year, Two of which were last week. Its not worth digging ruts in the ground trying to pull the lawmowers out.

But its Louisiana if it didn't rain it would be 100+ degree weather. I don't mind the weeds, but the mosquitos are getting really cocky!!

Can you spare a few billion gallons, please?
It could be a lot worse than a few tomatoes, this is CA's largest drinking water Res.
1628151045770.png

1628151164981.png

This is the low water marina site, now it's the no water marina site, and in a few more weeks the turbines for the power plant will be out of the water. The power plant produces about 2.2 billion kilowatt hours (kWh) of power each yr, so this is going to get really sporty out here in the heat of the summer. Our summers last well into Oct most years. We are so screwed, it's sickening what they have done to this once great state.:emoji_imp::emoji_imp::emoji_imp:

Been really rough on tomatoes. 90% of the fruits are cracking on the vine and fruit flies are laying eggs on the green fruits so that they rot before they are ripe to pick. Been picking a lot early, but still lost most of them. Won't be making my salsa or tomato sauce this season which is a bummer. Oh well, there is always next season....
You threw them away because they were split? I've always just cut a wedge out where it's split, and they were fine inside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky