Recommended smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigPapa559

Original poster
Jun 5, 2023
I’m looking into a new smoker. I started on a traeger. When it died I used my weber kettle, which has worked great. I’m thinking on an Oklahoma joe highland or a char griller grand champion. Any other recommendations?

What type are you looking for? Another pellet, stick burner? I’ve had a couple masterbuilt’s, Traeger, WSM and two kettles. All I have. It is a 22” and 26” kettle. Easy to use. Not quite as easy as a pellet but can get more flavor out of them.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I think I want something non-electric or minimally electric. Maybe a burger of $600; maybe a bit more. I was thinking of a offset smoker.

Have you considered ceramic/kamado? I got one during the pandemic and absolutely love it. I’ve cooked on offsets, kettle, UDS, and just about any smoker/grill you can think of (except pellet), and a ceramic kamado is by far my favorite. Incredibly versatile and super easy to maintain steady temps for hours and hours without babysitting or any electronics.

I've had a Masterbuilt 560 gravity cooker since the day they first were sold at Walmart.
As a former stick burner owner (an Old Country Pecos from Academy, and NO don't buy one), I can testify gravity feed with wood added is the only way to fly.
My Masterbuilt has suffered multiple door position sensor failures so I just deleted the two on the charcoal bin and firebox chamber, so now no more problems with door sensors.
I've smoked dozens of briskets both hot and fast and low and slow and I love how it cooks.

I have a Masterbuilt 560. Use it for both smoking and grilling. Nice charcoal flavor when grilling and great smoke flavor when smoking. Keep wood chunks on hand to load in the gravity hopper. I can crank it up to 700 degrees and get some very nice sear on chicken skin, wings, chops, steaks, etc. It's weak link is the safety switches on the grill lid, gravity lid, and lower charcoal hopper lid. If these go bad there is no warning and the blower fan will quit working. I keep a couple of spare switches on hand. $10.00 each and it takes removing two screws. About a 5 minute process.

If mine ever goes bad I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Just reading through post.. Came upon this.. have conviced me to get a Materbuilt 560... Is there any other equipment/options to purchase with the unit?? Anyone have a good place/price to buy from??? Thanks... I was all over trying to figure what to buy. You folks make it easy!

So the MB800 was just on sale at Costco (In store only) for $499. Comes with the pizza oven. Its a little bigger than the 560, obviously. I have the 1050 and its great. Almost bought the 800 a year back but thought it was just too small.

Best of luck!!

Have you considered ceramic/kamado? I got one during the pandemic and absolutely love it. I’ve cooked on offsets, kettle, UDS, and just about any smoker/grill you can think of (except pellet), and a ceramic kamado is by far my favorite. Incredibly versatile and super easy to maintain steady temps for hours and hours without babysitting or any electronics.
I was in my local Ace Hardware the other day and saw one. Don't remember what model it was but it was a good size. I tried moving it a little and it was heavy. Looked quality. The ceramic coating was nice. How many racks of ribs can you do on a Kamado?

Ordered my MB GF 900 from Costco yesterday, will be here on Thur. $599
MB 900??? So maybe it's an 800 still OK by me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky