Recommended modifications for my Masterbuilt XL Propane smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nova1404

Original poster
Jan 10, 2019
I just purchased my first smoker. I have been using my Weber Charcoal grill as a smoker, but it was time up the ante. Any recommendations are appreciated, thank you.

I don’t have that model so maybe someone that does can chime in and help but I do have a smoke vault propane rig and haven’t had to do any mods to it. A lot of people recommend a needle valve but I haven’t seen a need for it on my end.

Post some cooks on that new rig good luck!

Reactions: nova1404
the list of mods is pretty simple:
- gasket around door to prevent smoke leaks
- ditch the oem chip pan, and use a cast iron skillet or an aluminum pan
- add wheels to the bottom legs
- add reflectix insulation around the outside to help retain heat
- plug up some of the burner holes so that you can maintain larger flames (to help prevent flame blowout) but lower heat (e.g. for jerky)
- inline needle valve to help fine tune propane flow (lots of people use a high pressure regulator/needle valve combo, but the masterbuilt comes with a low pressure burner, so that's not an ideal setup.)

best thing is to search the propane forum for the mod you're interested in doing. you can also step it up a notch and add a PID controller and safety shut off. they seem daunting at first, but they're super easy to add once you think it through.

Thank you Solman, I will work on some of these things. Definitely going to add wheels!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky