Recommendation for a First Time Charcoal Smoker Buyer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sew213

Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
I want to buy my boyfriend a charcoal smoker for Christmas but I'm not sure which model/brand to go with.  Any suggestions?  I would prefer to keep the price under $175.  Thanks for your help!

Your boyfriend is fortunate to have a girl who would think of buying him a smoker  
first.gif

You may find some good info in this thread - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/149103/best-beginner-charcoal-smoker

Here is another link to charcoal smoker reviews and recommendations - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/products/category/charcoal-smokers

Also, consider looking for a deal on a lightly used smoker on craigslist or your local paper... you may be able to score a $400+ dollar smoker in great shape and still stay within your budget... a Weber Smokey Mountain is the one I would suggest looking for!

Weber smokey mountain will cost you more than that, but it is worth it. most of the Horizontal offsets you find at the chain stores are not worth the money and he will loose interest fast if it is his first one, Look for a used WSM online in your area

I want to buy my boyfriend a charcoal smoker for Christmas but I'm not sure which model/brand to go with.  Any suggestions?  I would prefer to keep the price under $175.  Thanks for your help!
If you know you "love" charcoal smoking, then you can ignore the ecb. A mini WSM will be under your limit (including the tamale pot and everything), but you'll have to do some handy mods if you're handy. I hate to say this but I would suggest the WSM 14.5, It will cost you 200.00 thou, but those will be the sweetest 25.00 over budget you'll do ever.

45.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky