Rec Tec

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
7490DD77-2DA0-4DAB-A049-47E46BBCE591.jpeg

Good stuff. I was in the same position as you almost 2 years ago. The Yoder is a nice unit but the shipping killed it for me. And now with the RecTec's being stainless it's harder to justify the extra expense of the Yoder.
Oh I hear ya on the shipping...shame on yoder, 450$ shipping, come on thats over the top. I even looked at the closest dealer to me and funny their on the floor price had the shipping built in so it was still 2400$ Honestly if they didn't gaff me so bad for shipping i wouldn't even have looked at the rt700 but all things happen for a reason and i'm glad it did cause dare I say.....imho the rt700 is a better smoker....its definitely a better deal

I have a local dealer here as well. He also added shipping to his cost. So it was about the same price from him and ordering it online. Didn’t make sense. You’d think the dealer would get a break on shipping.

I have a local dealer here as well. He also added shipping to his cost. So it was about the same price from him and ordering it online. Didn’t make sense. You’d think the dealer would get a break on shipping.
right... stock 10 and nix the shipping to the dealer. I would think at some point yoder is going to have to change. This new rec-tec rt700 is got to be taking a big bite out of them

Honestly, I have only seen a Memphis, a GMG Daniel boone, and my rec tec in person, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. For the price range, nothing can touch rec tec. There are better, of course, but they cost a minimum of 50% more. The Memphis is 400,%

I have had a RECTEC 680 now for 3 Years and I am SOLD. I have a Larger BGE and even with all the gadgets attached it does not even come close on smoking. I have friends with Traeger and GM smokers - but my 680 I still think runs and manages better than those. The other great thing about RECTEC is the customer service - I'm retired military and work in Germany for the USG - brought my 680 over and whatever I need the guys always come thru and even throw in extras to my packages (controller, fuses, paint). I have found that my black paint under on the bottom has begun to bubble but otherwise I have had zero issues with smoker and have run it for hundreds of hours.. even in snow over here in Germany all night long! I've upgraded the smoke pot, igniter and have a custom down draft mounted.. I wish the wheel set up was a little better but look to get the new competition cart which will fix that. Pull that trigger - you will not be disappointed with RECTEC!!! IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1018.JPG IMG_2458.JPG IMG_1967.JPG IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1478.JPG IMG_2461.JPG IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1018.JPG IMG_2458.JPG IMG_1967.JPG IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1478.JPG IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2171.JPG IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_1967.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_2461.JPG
IMG_2171.JPG
IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_1967.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_2461.JPG
IMG_2171.JPG
IMG_1267.JPG

How's that downdraft working for you?
The downdraft is money - cant remember where I got it but it was before I cam to Germany. It was from a thread where a guy tricked out his RT680 and I ordered one from the link. It still releases smoke from the chimney but when you open the lid the chamber is so full, sometimes you can't see what your cooking. I'm sold and have tested it open and closed, makes a difference!

I just open it wide - mine is a different style and the entire circular metal disc locks in or slides down thus reopening directly into the grill.. I have the searing grates and have run it full on making pizza's and seared steaks etc.. with no issues. I dont see any downside - I have read all the comments on pellet heads and this forum.. you could always remove it pretty quickly if you feel like it doesn't get hot enough or it reduces your airflow too much but again I have not experienced it.

Reactions: The Bull
If you see my picture with the Venison Brats and Smoked mac and cheese you can see my downdraft. I have run it wide open and closed (more recycled smoke) and have noticed a difference in my smoke ring and flavour. Obviously, on a pellet smoker the type of pellet you use will make a difference as well (no different than wood smoking). But as I said, I have so much smoke in my chamber when I open the lid I cant see what I'm smoking..

I just open it wide - mine is a different style and the entire circular metal disc locks in or slides down thus reopening directly into the grill.. I have the searing grates and have run it full on making pizza's and seared steaks etc.. with no issues. I dont see any downside - I have read all the comments on pellet heads and this forum.. you could always remove it pretty quickly if you feel like it doesn't get hot enough or it reduces your airflow too much but again I have not experienced it.
do you know if that works with the cold smoke box option?

I don't - I have looked at the cold smoke box and when I get back stateside, will probably get one. I would think, that since it recirculates the smoke and it still still eventually goes out of the chimney (where you connect the cold smoke box) it would still be effective and work fine. I also would say if you wanted to run Jerky or something in the cold smoke you could manage the flow especially with the Don Godkes Downdraft. I think with the DG DD you could better manage the amount of smoke & heat going into the cold box and if you had another probe could fine tune it. The other thing that sells me on the DD is the use of pellets, I've seen where some companies quote 2.3lbs of pellets per hour, my 680 barely burns any with the DD, even in really cold temps (using quilted winter cover). I ran my RECTEC 6 hours this Sunday with a full hopper and can barely tell any difference when all was said and done. While pellets aren't overly pricey I'm still always looking for economy, getting the most out of my unit in a quality cook and not to just send smoke into my neighbors yards.

I don't - I have looked at the cold smoke box and when I get back stateside, will probably get one. I would think, that since it recirculates the smoke and it still still eventually goes out of the chimney (where you connect the cold smoke box) it would still be effective and work fine. I also would say if you wanted to run Jerky or something in the cold smoke you could manage the flow especially with the Don Godkes Downdraft. I think with the DG DD you could better manage the amount of smoke & heat going into the cold box and if you had another probe could fine tune it. The other thing that sells me on the DD is the use of pellets, I've seen where some companies quote 2.3lbs of pellets per hour, my 680 barely burns any with the DD, even in really cold temps (using quilted winter cover). I ran my RECTEC 6 hours this Sunday with a full hopper and can barely tell any difference when all was said and done. While pellets aren't overly pricey I'm still always looking for economy, getting the most out of my unit in a quality cook and not to just send smoke into my neighbors yards.
well I ordered one as my rt700 has been shipped, I put a side note to try an expidite the shipping on the DG DD so I can install it as I put the smoker together.......cause if you think when that smoker shows up and I have no DG DD in my hand Im not putting that smoker together and using it .......lol hoping not to have to disassemble it again

I ordered mine from pelletgrillaccessories.com - they dont show it on the site but Mike there can assist.. The model I got was the "new style" with the flip door. It was $119.00 in June of 2015, but I think between that option and Don Godkes and some others you have more choices - what i was told on configuration - the RECTEC and others are all designed the same - the Don Godkes for the RT680 should fit the 700 no problem and is cheaper ($85.00) than pelletgrillaccessories option - from the looks of it, their stainless steel spacers and bolting set up might be tighter than what I got originally.

well I ordered one as my rt700 has been shipped, I put a side note to try an expidite the shipping on the DG DD so I can install it as I put the smoker together.......cause if you think when that smoker shows up and I have no DG DD in my hand Im not putting that smoker together and using it .......lol hoping not to have to disassemble it again
I cant wait to get back stateside and see what options RECTEC has - while I absolutely love my RECTEC and customer service, thinking I may be able to sell it over her to a German, get some good cash in return and throw that against a RT700 when I get back stateside. I'm envious as to what you are about to experience and absolutely love my RECTEC, for the price point, quality of cook, ease of use and the incredible customer service, its really hard to beat. Good luck, you're gonna love it!! As for assembly - two bolts, washers and lock nuts- pretty simple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky