Rec Tec on the way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for posting your thoughts and the photos...Looks like a great unit. Another pellet pooper hit my radar heavy today and i may have to order one. It is a Blazin Grill Works Gridiron. So many options to consider and only order one. 
beercheer.gif

I started ith a Traeger Jr about a year ago. While it served me very well, it was time to go bigger. |I thought that the size would be the main difference but the Eec |Tec actually does a better job of cooking. I think it's due to the absolute control over temprature. This thing doesn't budge once it's at the desired temp. In the next couple weeks I'll be putting it to what I consider, the ultimate test. I'll be cooking a whole packer Brisket. My Traeger Jr did a fantastic job, even with a 16 pounder, I can't wait to see how the Rec Tec does.

The BGW was one|I looked at too, I like the ability to slide the pellet pot out for cleaning. My only concern is the controller, it's similar to the Ortech style controller that I put on my Traeger Jr. I had 40 degree swings in temp, that may be due to the Jr being so small but I didn't want to chance it.

I worried about that too but when reading what owners are writing about the the Blaz'n they state that when the grill is open to set it at 180 witch sets the auger at 50% duty cycle. What this does is not let the cooker call for large amounts of pellets all the time the lid is open. As soon as you close the lid bump the heat back to temp desired and they get very stable temp results that way. 

I really like the Yoders also but i have a hard time with the fire pot being on the left side...just seams like even temps could be a recurring nightmare with one. 

Every smoker...grill has a learning curve and i appreciate all your impute BBQ Pub Grub. Those Rec Tecs are still on my Radar...I want one built in the good old USA...
42.gif

Gotarace, I'm tellin ya. I'm learning a lot here with all these posts. I'm gonna watch this thread and see what you finally settle on.
I already gave the wifey a warning a new box arrive this spring. :-)

I can comment on the Blazin, as I have a Grid Iron at home, one at my buddy's lake house, and my inlaws have a Grand Slam, & I have cooked on them all.  
I've probably ran about 400-500lbs through mine at home in the last 5 months.  

Grid Iron: 
Grill Area:  702 sq. in. ( 36" x 19.5" )
Including Inside Shelf: 310 sq. in. ( 31" x 10" )
Total cooking surface with shelf - 1012 sq. in.
Hopper Size: 30lbs. 

The pull out fire pot is the cat's meow for a couple reasons: 
1) If you ever experience a flame out, you can pull it out, get rid of any excess pellets, put it back in and fire it back up w/o removing all the food, grates, grease pan, heat deflector, then vac it out & put it all back together.  
2) Quick and easy cleanout before each cook or in the middle of a super long cook.  
3) To make starting a bit quicker, I put about 1/4cup of pellets in it before each cook after I clean it out.  
4) If your ignitor rod goes on the fritz, just pull out, add some pellets, light, shove in and you are up and running w/o having to go through everything listed in #1 above.  

The controller on the Traeger is different.  Blazin uses an Ortech 100.   It is programmed a bit different I believe.  After I got some seat time w/ it, I have got it down and rarely have trouble w/ it.  It is true that if you set to 180* when you open the lid, it will change the duty cycle to 50% no matter what it thinks the temp is (when you open the lid for an extended period of time and let the heat out, the controller will think that the temp is lower than what it is set at and will dump pellets in at 100% duty cycle until the lid is closed and the temp goes back up, plus any overshoot from the fire pot blazing away. I think that this can happen w/ almost any pellet grill to a point) 

They are American made in Beatrice, NE.  

As for searing, Blazin Grill Works make sear kits that seem to work quite well.  

Also, the Blazin has an optional hood insulator kit and also optional roller grates.  I have not purchased all the above yet, but plan to.  

Blazin also gives you a ton of different powder coat options so you can customize the color.  

Their shipping is pretty cheap from what I hear, maybe because they are only selling them factory direct now.

The Blazin also has a 30lb hopper and a rounded auger rod so that it helps w/ pellet jams. 
They are built like tanks, second only to the Yoder.  

What I would change on my Blazin Grid Iron... Well for one thing, I would like for the standard top shelf be on a slide track rather than mounted on peg holes on the back side.

I will probably swap out the controller for the SSII when they are available, but that is only because I like gadgets and want to hook it up to a Rocks Stoker and have a full internet interface... 

Have fun researching.  I would try to find a store w/ the different models or find somebody that has each one so you can touch and feel it to get a better idea of each too.

Some more details on the Rec Tec for you. The stainless steel used is 304 grade, better than the 430 you'll find on some units. It also has a button allowing you to feed extra pellets when opening the lid. You can also alternate between actual temp & set temp. I don't remember if I mentioned it before but it maintains its temp within 2 degrees no matter what the ambient temp has been. I've tested with a 40 degree swing from morning to afternoon. I did have a wheel that I couldn't tighten last week so i called about it, they sent one the same day & I got it yesterday. I think you'll find as well that they aren't there just to selll you a smoker, you'll make new friends too. They are a great bunch over there. There are definitely a lot of great choices out there & every one you mentioned were also considerations for me too. I think the polished cast stainless horns tipped the scale too, they're just cool. 8-D BTW they are offering 6 months same as cash right now, that helps ease the pain as well.

I'm new to smoking, so started smoking with an electric Masterbuilt having some temp control  issues, though still working has led me to looking into IMHO the next best thing, pellet smoker/grill. I've been reading about Traegers and clones, and sounds like REC TEC is US made and built well.

A few questions - I've read some threads that smoke is not as intense on pellet smokers? I have AMNPS, could that work as a supplement, if limited smoke, or is tube needed? where is either placed?

Also the grill specs say they can go to high heat like 500, has anyone tried to sear a steak with good results?  Not as inmportant as smoking but if it can be used as dual purpose,I may have a better case with wife...

You just about cinched it for me.  I am looking to upgrade to a pellet smoker and have liked the information I've read about Rec Tec and they are on sale now for $995.00 which is within  my budget.

Everything I have ever heard is RecTec is made in China also. Wife and I decided on a Yoder YS640 the January before last and it has exceeded our expectations and we have no regrets.

Everything I have ever heard is RecTec is made in China also. Wife and I decided on a Yoder YS640 the January before last and it has exceeded our expectations and we have no regrets.
I will have to stand corrected, after some additional research on REC TEC I believe is manufactured in China, though it is an american company designed .  I too went with Yoder YS640, a few extra $$ and well worth it.  Been using the Yoder now for about three weeks and everything so far has been great. 

I just pulled the trigger on a REC TEC today. Looking forward to getting it. Sounds like they will be shipping the day after Labor Day....Gonna need Todd's pellets at AMAZN by the boat load now...I'll be calling you TJ...............
biggrin.gif
Nice smokers those RecTec's...   I have read quite a bit about them.....   Congrats......     PS, you can get Todd's pellets by the ton....    

I just pulled the trigger on a REC TEC today. Looking forward to getting it. Sounds like they will be shipping the day after Labor Day....Gonna need Todd's pellets at AMAZN by the boat load now...I'll be calling you TJ...............
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the new Rec Tec! Hope you like it as much as I like mine. Be sure to show it off with some Qview when it comes in! Did you order the Grill Grates sear kit with it? IMO, it's a must for getting a good sear on meats when high temp grilling.

Red

Marco here from NC this was very helpful! I saw this smoker awhile back, and I came across on in a competition, nice looking pellet smoker, pellet pooper as I read in another post. Lol im a stick burner myself, but looking into going for a pellet smoker as well, see what the hoopla is all about. Pics look good and promising. Was looking at the Traegers, since they made a kiosk at our local malls. Might give the Rec Tec a shot! Good deal!

Will get my Rec-Tec Monday.  I got a smoker for Christmas, the wife a new dining room suite.  Fair in

my book.  Hoping to do a pork shoulder next week and a prime rib either Christmas or New Years.  Any

help would be appreciated as this my first venture into the smoking world

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky