Reactivated

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

superruss

Original poster
Mar 7, 2020
Thanks for letting me in, I'm 63yrs old and I'm doing now as a hobie what I did for a living, there's something wrong with me. I cut meat for about a decade or more in my twentys working for independent meat markets from California to Texas I also became a drunk, getting fired or just running away from each job. Fast forward 40 years I got sober 20 years ago and learned to do things differently, I don't make "work" out of things as I used to do , I've slowed down and can find great pleasure in simple things. Couple years ago I bought a pellet smoker and started making smoked meats and sausage. I give away some and eat the rest, on January 1 I started eating "primal" ( plants and animals) I've lost 38 lbs and if you squint...i look pretty good ! So even tho I have some skills as a journeyman butcher, I'm at best rusty. Hope y'all can share some skills and recipes with me...
Thanks Russ
PS...i know how to get and stay sober ( happlie) if there's anyone out there struggling I'm happy to share that too!

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome back to the land of the living Russ. Great story and thanks for sharing. If you're looking for info, recipes, tips, tricks of the trades, this is the place to find all of that. A great forum for sure and full of people available to help at the drop of a hat. Don't be afraid to jump in and ask questions or answer somebody else's question if you can. Glad to have you aboard!!

Robert

S superruss

Looks like you got it all together brother! I for one am impressed and happy for you.

Welcome to the greatest Smoking Sight on the planet. You will learn a lot from some of the friendliest and knowledgable people here and I'm sure we can learn quite a bit from you as well.

Take care my friend,

John

Welcome Russ from a fellow new guy here. You will find most everyone is friendly and love to give you any advice you need. I'm sure with your butchering skills you'll have plenty to offer folks as well. By the way where are you living now? Have fun, Mayor

Fast forward 40 years I got sober 20 years ago and learned to do things differently,

25+ years sobriety here.

Hats off and congrats to both of you!! I've known some folks that have gone through it and I understand it's a tough battle to fight....and keep fighting every day. Takes a very strong person to do what you've done and that deserves the utmost respect!!

Tipping my hat,
Robert

No issues with the booze. But when I quite smoking 20 years ago. I remember how much fun that was. I was a 2 pack a day man for 25 years.

No fighting here.
The ol'saying, " Once an addict/alcoholic, always an addict/alcoholic." is not true.

Chile...I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to hear somebody say this. Obviously I have no personal experience with what you and others have gone through. My only knowledge, as limited as it may be, is what I've heard from other folks. The common denominator always seems to be that it's a minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day struggle to maintain what has been achieved. What you said here could well be a huge positive influence for folks.

But when I quite smoking 20 years ago. I remember how much fun that was. I was a 2 pack a day man for 25 years.

Now this I can relate to!! I started smoking when I was 13. 38 years later I decided to give it up and got a vaping device. The morning after I got the device, I stopped at a construction site in our community on my way to work and threw my cigarettes in the dumpster. Like you Steve, I was a 2 pack a day guy and had been for years. Still enjoy my vape and still have a cig once in a while, but it sure is nice to have that monkey off my back.

Whew!!
Robert

No issues with the booze. But when I quite smoking 20 years ago. I remember how much fun that was. I was a 2 pack a day man for 25 years.
I quit smoking before I quit everything else because I started skydiving.
Pack a day habit took a hike because I was experiencing hypoxia just going to 10K AGL.
I wanted to skydive more than smoke, better high... Pun intended.

Chile...I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to hear somebody say this. Obviously I have no personal experience with what you and others have gone through. My only knowledge, as limited as it may be, is what I've heard from other folks. The common denominator always seems to be that it's a minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day struggle to maintain what has been achieved.
What you said here could well be a huge positive influence for folks.

Whew!!
Robert
For some it is a life long struggle, I'm thankful that I'm not one.
None of it has any hold on me... Amen!

Welcome Russ from a fellow new guy here. You will find most everyone is friendly and love to give you any advice you need. I'm sure with your butchering skills you'll have plenty to offer folks as well. By the way where are you living now? Have fun, Mayor
Tyler Tx

I quit smoking before I quit everything else because I started skydiving.
Pack a day habit took a hike because I was experiencing hypoxia just going to 10K AGL.
I wanted to skydive more than smoke, better high... Pun intended.

Tried that twice. No thanks. I'll keep my feet on the ground!

Welcome from Wisconsin. This is a great forum with great people. Happy smoking! :emoji_cat:

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky