Re-Mod to my MES 30...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
For some time, I had an added flex duct to move the heat/smoke to the center of the MES 30, to try and overcome the hot spots.... Heat created by the AMNPS during cold smoking...  

Well, it finally crumbled from salts and stuff that dripped on it when the "water pan" was not installed...  I use the water pan for additional heat deflection to get a uniform heat flow through the smoker...  Also the chip pan for heat distribution is left in...  I'm back to ~10º difference throughout the smoker...

I drilled a hole in the flex elbow that protrudes to the inside of the smoker..  drilled a hole through the family size soup can.... 

placed a chunk of wire through the two holes and there it hangs..

.. .. .. ..

Last edited:
Looks like a great idea. I only use my MES for cheese, lox, bacon, & sausage. Mostly cold smoking, except for the sausage. So there's not much heat involved. Still the temps inside are pretty uneven, also I would like to get the smoke out to the middle or left side, since the vent is top right.

Al

Click on the pic to enlarge...  there's a bump in the middle....  there are 2 small holes drilled in it below the exhaust adjuster...   wire ran down, in and out the holes and back up...   twisted to the exhaust adjuster...   

Aluminum flashing picked up at the farm store...    It's about 1" tall opening... 

Dave could you have flanges the flashing and pop riveted it to the top
 I could but I want it removable....    2 smokes now and it hasn't fallen off... or moved....   the holes are very small and so is the wire....

Why would you want to remove it? Cleaning?  I may do the mod but I think I will install it with a track to slide it out to clean.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky