Rat removal (Anyone have any in depth knowledge?)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We don't rats but used to have a lot of mice, until I got a Rat Terrier, the first week I had her I found 5 dead mice on the door step, and a few lizards,They are good dogs and not very big, but she is a escape artist, always hunting.

Steve,

I didn't think of the one that mco mentioned!!!

If you don't mind a little "yapping", a Rat Terrior is an excellent idea.

I never had one, but my Great Grandfather had one at the farm. Her name was "Winnie".

She took care of the rats they had in a hurry.

We often picked her up when we went rabbit hunting, because she was a Great "Hole-Dog".

My Dad would turn her loose, and she would actually go down into the rabbit holes, and chase the rabbits out the other entrances!!!

Somebody told me since that "Hole-Dogs" were illegal to use in PA----Must have been PETA again!!!  
biggrin.gif

Bear

A couple would be good. The one I got doesn't catch crap. I got mice, rabbits and all kinds of birds. Don't mind the rabbits and birds. But still you'd think she'd bring one home once in a while.
LOL---My Son has 2 cats---Brothers of our cat "Smokey".

He said he heard them running around early the other day.

He said a mouse got in somehow, and the two cats "Cheech" & "Chong" were playing soccer with it!!!   
laugh1.gif

Bear

Update! That little BSTRD (big) rat took off with the trap! THE WHOLE TRAP IS GONE. Hes either dying with it on his neck or he is laughing at me. Either way war has been officially declared and the BEARCARVER MOAT is coming out tommorow. No quarter shall be given to prisoners and my dog will adjudicate the military tribunal. I am P.O d that was a heavy duty expensive trap!

Update! That little BSTRD (big) rat took off with the trap! THE WHOLE TRAP IS GONE. Hes either dying with it on his neck or he is laughing at me. Either way war has been officially declared and the BEARCARVER MOAT is coming out tomorrow. No quarter shall be given to prisoners and my dog will adjudicate the military tribunal. I am P.O d that was a heavy duty expensive trap!
I said strap them down....No you didn't believe me. 
rolleyes.gif
 Now you have to track RatZilla, He's probably pissed and planning a attack. 

Update! That little BSTRD (big) rat took off with the trap! THE WHOLE TRAP IS GONE. Hes either dying with it on his neck or he is laughing at me. Either way war has been officially declared and the BEARCARVER MOAT is coming out tommorow. No quarter shall be given to prisoners and my dog will adjudicate the military tribunal. I am P.O d that was a heavy duty expensive trap!
Oh Great, since you didn't stake the trap down, now you'll have to cut a bigger hole in the bucket top, so he can get his head through, with that trap on it!!!   
laugh1.gif

Be careful---He may be re-setting that trap in one of your regular runways!! Change your route to & from the house!! Watch for trip wires !!!

Bear

LOL---That's a problem sometimes.

I have always lived in the sticks, and I have always shot Groundhogs every chance I get.

Then one time I see a guy releasing Groundhogs on my land from his Havahart traps.

I thought I should start charging him for my Ammo !!!

I got enough!---I don't need any more !!!   
head-wall.gif

Bear
I use those body traps (whatever they are called...the traps that are only legal for under water..shhhhhh, no telling on me!) for groundhogs.  I will go a week or two without getting any then I'll get one each day for a few days then another few weeks without, etc...  My new house has so many it's ridiculous.  My Jack Russell has gotten into the act too and has caught two for himself.  Boy is he ever pissed when I take them from him!  I had to put a fishing net over him just to get the last one away.  When I was a kid another JR caught an albino groundhog.  We took a picture of it but I'm not sure where that is at the moment. 

It really stinks when the hog is able to pull the trap out of the ground (I put a pin in the ground but if it has been raining they can sometimes get it out) and you can't find it.  Two days ago I found a darn hog, with the trap attached, trying to get into another hole.  He got himself stuck so high-speed lead poisoning it was!

Last edited:
I use those body traps (whatever they are called...the traps that are only legal for under water..shhhhhh, no telling on me!) for groundhogs.  I will go a week or two without getting any then I'll get one each day for a few days then another few weeks without, etc...  My new house has so many it's ridiculous.  My Jack Russell has gotten into the act too and has caught two for himself.  Boy is he ever pissed when I take them from him!  I had to put a fishing net over him just to get the last one away.  When I was a kid another JR caught an albino groundhog.  We took a picture of it but I'm not sure where that is at the moment. 

It really stinks when the hog is able to pull the trap out of the ground (I put a pin in the ground but if it has been raining they can sometimes get it out) and you can't find it.  Two days ago I found a darn hog, with the trap attached, trying to get into another hole.  He got himself stuck so high-speed lead poisoning it was!

Victor Connibear Body Traps. I used them for Muskrats, because muskrats chew or wring their legs off & get loose from the darn leg traps.

I once caught a big old muskrat with the only leg he had left. He didn't chew that one off, I guess cause he figured where could he go anyway, without any legs.

Body traps are much more humane---Muskrats are dead in less than one minute---I watched one through the ice one time---seemed like about 20 seconds. The trap just pancakes them!

Bear

When I live in New Mexico we had a friend who lived way out in the sagebrush by himself... jus him and his dog, in a little one room shed/house. On one of our visits in the winter we noticed a corner of the wall had a hole cut out of the sheetrock, and there was a lamp pointed at it. Asked him what that was all about.

Well turns out the rats were wanting to come inside for the warmth (and food), and he was needing a little entertainment (to relieve the cabin fever). Hey presto! The sport of indoor rat hunting is born! He would put a cracker with some peanut butter next to the hole in the wall, turn the spot light on it and wait. When the rat stuck his head out to sniff said treat the last thing he heard was the crack of a 22 long rifle!
laugh1.gif

I have my fridge conversion in my garage. I have done a few smokes in it now, and it smells real good. Too good, I guess. The scent seems to be attracting neighborhood rats. I keep it clean, so there's no grease or anything for them to get at, but i think the smell alone is bringing them in (it does me, too). I know they've gotten into the crawlspace under the house, as well. I saw a black one in the garage, and trapped a big, light gray one soon after. We've had to remove all the dog & cat food that we used to store in the garage, potatos and onions, too. But I can't do anything about moving the fridge outside until the weather turns better. And in the PNW, that could be quite a while.

I'd have no problem laying poison down if it wasn't for our dog getting into it, and the fact that I don't want them croaking somewhere inside the house where I can't reach. I've laid traps in the garage (dog is ticked that she can't go in there anymore) and crawlspace baited with peanut butter and beef jerky, but I think they're wise to them now. After the first one was caught, they don't touch them anymore.

I think what pi$$es me off the most, is that it's my new, beloved smoker that's attracting them.

Any thoughts?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky