• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Raisins

bill ace 350

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 28, 2013
Smoked a box of raisins today, just because I felt like it.

Spread them out on a screen, cold smoked with hickory for about hour and a half.

Nice flavor.

will vacuum seal them for hunting season deer blind snack.

siege

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 16, 2015
That sounds tasty, and the shelf life should be very good. The flavor profile would lend itself to pemmican sticks. I use dried cherries or cranberries in mine, with ground jerky and beef fat. I'll try smoked raisins next time. Thanks for the thought !

bill ace 350

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 28, 2013
siege, I'd be interested in your pemmican recipe and process if you're willing to share.

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Smoking raisins - never heard of that before. Glad they taste good.

Point for a 1st
Chris

siege

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 16, 2015
siege, I'd be interested in your pemmican recipe and process if you're willing to share.
I have a basic recipe, but have never made it the same way twice. I am the most picky about the fat I use. Most very lean meat works, including really cheap, tough beef, deer, elk, or antelope. Trim all the fat and silverside from the meat.
Dry lightly seasoned meat to get 2# of very dry meat. When I make jerky, I take the jerky out, and leave a few pounds of meat to continue drying. Let it dry to where it cracks or breaks when you try to bend it. Grind the meat to a powder. I use a lava molcajete, but a food processor would probably work better.( And be much easier )
Render down about a pound of good hard white fat. Heat the fat to where it simmers, then strain out any impurities, I use layered cheese cloth. Get all the moisture out of the fat, like making ghee.
Pound or grind 2 Cups of dried fruit ( cranberries, raisins, dates, apricots, etc), mix with the meat powder, and add enough very hot fat to be able to form into a firm brick. Knead in options, like a Tablespoon of honey, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, or unsalted slivered almonds. Press down into a pan to about an inch thick rectangle. When cool enough to handle, cut into 2 inch squares, and vacuum seal.
They should be shelf stable without refrigeration for months if you get all the moisture out. I keep mine in the freezer til ready to use.

bill ace 350

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 28, 2013
I have a basic recipe, but have never made it the same way twice. I am the most picky about the fat I use. Most very lean meat works, including really cheap, tough beef, deer, elk, or antelope. Trim all the fat and silverside from the meat.
Dry lightly seasoned meat to get 2# of very dry meat. When I make jerky, I take the jerky out, and leave a few pounds of meat to continue drying. Let it dry to where it cracks or breaks when you try to bend it. Grind the meat to a powder. I use a lava molcajete, but a food processor would probably work better.( And be much easier )
Render down about a pound of good hard white fat. Heat the fat to where it simmers, then strain out any impurities, I use layered cheese cloth. Get all the moisture out of the fat, like making ghee.
Pound or grind 2 Cups of dried fruit ( cranberries, raisins, dates, apricots, etc), mix with the meat powder, and add enough very hot fat to be able to form into a firm brick. Knead in options, like a Tablespoon of honey, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, or unsalted slivered almonds. Press down into a pan to about an inch thick rectangle. When cool enough to handle, cut into 2 inch squares, and vacuum seal.
They should be shelf stable without refrigeration for months if you get all the moisture out. I keep mine in the freezer til ready to use.
Appreciate it.
If I get a deer this year, I'm going to try it.
Do you add cure to your meat when drying, or take it to a certain temperature?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks