raised beds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Michael1960

Original poster
Dec 11, 2022
plans for next growing season.
(I'm a CAD designer)
I got one in before the ground started freezing up off and on.
finish it next April/May.
double stacked 8x8x16 cement blocks sitting on 8x8x4 cement blocks.
back of the house faces East.
pink blocks (15" square) are the border bricks of a brick patio.
layout 3d.JPG
layout PV.JPG

Nice layout, are the pathways gonna be gravel or grass. That's a whole lot of added weed whacking.

Reactions: Michael1960
Nice work, but around me that would just be raising the plants so the deer would not have to bend down to eat them.
we also have a lot of deer, as well as rabbits and squirrels.
we have two 3'x8' wood beds currently.
we hung half a bar of irish spring soap in net bags at each corner.
zero critter eating issues, besides the squirrels eating our sunflower plants as soon as they sprouted. that was in a different area with no irish spring.

Nice set up, just curious --what type of veg will you putting in. Facing east as your saying what time does roof peak start shadowing plots. Last season was brutal sun, how did your existing layout produce?
last year, as mentioned were two 3'x8'.
sun didn't clear the two big maples in back till 930ish.
guessing started getting shade on the patio 3ish.
right hand red rectangle was two rows of six tomatoes.
left hand was three rows of twelve peppers.
Capture.JPG

tomato bed.jpg

Nice set up, just curious --what type of veg will you putting in. Facing east as your saying what time does roof peak start shadowing plots. Last season was brutal sun, how did your existing layout produce?
tomato, pepper, spinach, eggplant, baby corn, miniature sweet corn, cukes,
squash, beans, scallions, chives, multiple basils, dill, rosemary, oregano, cilantro,
multiple lettuces, multiple asian greens, radishes, beets,
cool thing with the cement blocks, i can plant 1-2 radishes, beets and scallions in each one. also the herbs will be planted in the cement block squares.

everything is heirloom seeds.

hot weather plants will be started indoors january/february.
frost resistant will be seeded outside in april.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky