1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rack of St Louis ribs and some Country Ribs today

Discussion in 'Pork' started by EdP, Oct 12, 2019 at 8:57 AM.

1. EdP

EdP Smoke Blower

I'll try the rack naked today. SPOG and a little no salt Todd's Dirt, maybe a little paprika too.

Can't find a pan for the country ribs, so I'll wrap them in wide heavy foil with some apple juice after they get a few hours on the smoker, and finish them unwrapped.

[​IMG]

2. EdP

EdP Smoke Blower

Half splits of post oak and apple. Ran it up to 300+ to get it smoking good, and dialed it down to 275.

I'll put the rack on the lower grate since I'll need to wrap and unwrap the country ribs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jcam222 likes this.
  3. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looking great so far!

4. EdP

EdP Smoke Blower

Took the country ribs off to foil with some apple juice and bbq sauce, I thought I had a foil pan but couldn't find it, so I folded over xtra wide heavy foil into a double wrap.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. tx smoker

tx smoker Smoking Fanatic

I'm liking the look of this. Please post all when done.

Waiting....
    Robert

6. EdP

EdP Smoke Blower

The country ribs are close to ready, so I put them in a baking dish with some of the liquid in the foil. They'll have to sit for a while, so I put them in the oven at 200 while the ribs finish.

[​IMG]

jcam222 likes this.
  7. EdP

EdP Smoke Blower

The rack was really good in the middle but the ends were a bit dry. Wrapping in the middle of the cook makes a difference to me when smoking @275

The country ribs needed a little of the apple juice/bbq sauce from the foil wraps and I pulled them apart for sandwiches.

I think I’ll try a rack naked again but at a lower temp.

And I needed to bend the rack a bit because it was too big for my wsm18 and a part was kind of folded. The folded part didn’t get to the same temp as the parts laying flat on the grate.

F526C3A3-64F2-42E2-AA69-F73DBDC3D385.jpeg

jcam222 and texomakid like this.
  8. texomakid

texomakid Smoking Fanatic

That's some fine looking Q. Are you running that pan empty just wrapped in foil, correct? That's how I run mine.

9. EdP

EdP Smoke Blower

yeah, i’ve got a terracotta bowl and plate in the water pan.

texomakid likes this.
  10. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking pretty tasty.
    Always love some pork ribs, and you did my two favorites.

11. EdP

EdP Smoke Blower

How do you do country ribs? I've followed the malcolm reed youtube, and they've been on the dry side even with cutting the times he recommends.

I've used a mix of the loin cuts and the back cuts, do you prefer one over the other? It seems the loin cuts dry out quicker.

12. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

13. EdP

EdP Smoke Blower