R.I.P. Bearcarver (John)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As so many have already said, this is a sad moment indeed. Bear helped so many of us without hesitation. I can only imagine what he went thru during the final times of his life and am sure he's resting in peace. He paid his dues.......

Our statue Beary is giving John a cyber hug as we speak

4B748650-5886-49C9-BFB5-BC29E4804FB9.jpeg

Last edited:
Lynda and family... I can only imagine the emptiness you all feel... John was bigger than life... It is time to reflect on his goodness... He had enough to go around to many folks... We all appreciate John... The man he was and what he did for others... Thank you again, for your service to your country... Your friend, Dave.

It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce Bearcarver AKA John Horne, passed away early this morning. John, as you all know had been battling various and severe health issues for several years. John was a great friend, and always helped everyone as much as was possible. John had asked a few weeks ago to post some of his thoughts and info about his various health issues, see below:

=================================
"Early thoughts

As for my health, the things I say are the way I feel, and I know more about my health than anyone else.
The "doctors" have been wanting me to get tons of tests, like I used to get, but I pretty much quit that years ago. It wears me out, and does me NO Good at all.

A couple months ago I was weighing in at about 237.
So for the last few weeks I've been losing weight. I was glad, but it came along with feeling nauseous, and losing weight. I was down to 215 when I went in the hospital, and was 209 when I came home. That is a new 10 year low.

All I could eat was one scrambled egg each morning, and even less for the rest of the day.
Then an hour later I would be bloated & feel like barfing.

They changed one of my drugs, and that might have helped the stomach slightly.

However the rest of me is still all screwed up, such as the following:
One10 year old tired Aortic Valve (from a cow, with a 10 year + - life-span.

One "7 to eight centimeter wide Subclavian Descending Aortic Aneurysm".

2 blocked carotid Arteries.

Chronic Kidney Disease, from lack of blood to my kidneys during open-heart surgery.

Emphysema & COPD.

A Numb Right Leg (happened after open-heart surgery)

Bad left eye that hasn't opened completely since my first stroke, in 2012.

These are my main problems, and none of them are going to just "go-away" or "Get Better".

They were mostly assisted by "Agent Orange" in one way or another.

I'm tired of dealing with them, and am hoping one of the ones that will take me quick will do so soon.

That may sound harsh to you, but if you had any idea what I've been through over the last 10+ years, you'd understand."
=================================

One thing that really impressed me and showed us the kind of man John was, almost all of his health issues are results of Agent Orange poisoning during his time in Viet Nam, yet he never blamed anything or anyone, and remained 100% dedicated to our great Country. This is in addition to his various talents like woodworking, or Bear carving. The extreme talents of his Family in various areas. Though I've never met John in person, I feel like he was one of my closest friends and will forever be remembered and respected. I hope you all join my Family and myself in praying for John and his Family. Godspeed my friend you will be missed.
Thank you for the update.

In all my encounters with John he always demonstrated he was a good stand up man.
It's sad for us that he is no longer here, but I am glad he is no longer in pain. I'm also glad he was able to make ready his passing on to what lies beyond us.

I hope he's running, jumping, carving bears, smoking bbq, and enjoying all the food he used to love :)

John was a good man and a great friend. We shared many, many laughs, ideas, techniques, and recipes over the years. He will be missed by many but he is finally at peace. Nor more pain, no more suffering, but he endured it all like the true hero he was.

Jed ( bauchjw bauchjw ) that was an extremely honorable thing you did to honor the Bear. Hats off to you my friend and this restores the faith that there remains respect across the lines of our different branches of the Armed Services. Kudos to you sir!!

Robert

I felt as if I knew him. A few conversations back and forth asking for his knowledge and he was more than gracious to help me out along with many others.
You will be missed but also now pain free.
Rest In Peace John
Thoughts and Prayers to the family :emoji_pray:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
John ol buddy,

Though I am happy for you that your suffering has ended… I already miss ya my friend! We had a lot of good chats and laughs in the decade I’ve been on here at SMF! You were one of the first to take me under your wing and help develop the smoking abilities that I possess today!

Your legacy here will live on as the SMF members here will never see that perish! You are a true SMF Legend!

If I was a betting man… I’d say you’re probably already getting that smoker ready to cook up some fish from that old reliable hole…. I know you already hooked a big one!

Also some familiar SMF faces joining ya would be… Gary S, Kevin, Chef JJ, Pops and others that have passed!

My families condolences and prayers to Mrs. Bear, Bear Jr, Bethany and the other family members for their loss!

Thank you so much for your service to our country…. You Sir are a True Patriot!

Until we meet again my friend, it was my pleasure to have know you, get to know your family and share a friendship I’ll treasure forever!

With A Very Heartfelt Sorrow…

Rest In Peace My Friend! Love Ya!

Last edited:
Sad news. I just got home from a family funeral to see this. As with my uncle, I feel the loss but know the suing of the recent times has ended and hopefully they are at peace. He will be remembered by all of us.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky