qview my second beer butt chicken - redness questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krislol

Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
San Diego, CA
So this is my 2nd attempt at a beer butt. My first had a similar problem but it was absent a badass thermometer. My prior attempt I had poor smoker temp management and it took 3 hours in the smoker and about 30 min or so in the oven. This chick was around 2:30 in the smoker and I assumed it was good based on liquid color, internal temp at 173. I neglected to check the wing temp. From here the color of my breast was milky white and beautiful, however, near bone and dark meat, it was bleeding or too pink.

Is this normal? Should I not jump the gun and wait a little longer?

This was also my first inject, melted butter/garlic powder beneath the skin. All the juice in the pan is coke from when I removed the foreign body.

Thanks

6a20bdbb_AkBhv.jpg

b257c51d_62LZ2.jpg

Not Done, you need to calibrate your thermometer to make sure it is accurate...  You can do this by sticking the probe in boiling water and it should read 212º or in Ice Water and it should read 32º.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky