Quick question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phillipleondria

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Ok so i got smoke rolling, pork butt prepped, and the wife just left for work....then i realized i got no apple juice which i always use on my smokes for a quick spritz here and there, but i do have some seagrams strawberry daiquiri malt beverages, should work right? Please help guys

Well im going for it this is my fist stick smoke to, i usually do the minion method, but today is full on split wood

What is minion method?
take a can or chimney of charcoal and get them hot. Put an amount of unlit charcoal around the smoker fire area and some wood with the unlit coals. then put the lit coals in the middle of the unlit coals. the lit coals will light the unlit charcoal as time goes on and will give you a slower use of charcoal and more even heat distribution.

here is an old pic of me using my Weber Smokey Mountain with the minion method.

Hope that helps!

phatbac (Aaron)

What is minion method?
The minion method is used to provide a continuous stable heat over the duration of a long cook. It is commonly used when smoking pulled pork, brisket or ribs in a kettle or bullet smoker.

With bullet smokers (e.g. WSM) you first load cold unlit charcoal/briquettes in the fire basket and then add a small amount of lit coals to start the heat. As more coals catch the heat in the smoker increases until the desired internal temperature is reached. By controlling the air flow over the coals you can very precisely maintain the cooking temperature for many hours to within a degree or two.

In the Kettle BBQ this is usually achieved by using a variation called the Snake method.

By using the Minion method in my 18" ProQ Bullet smoker, 4 Kg of good quality briquettes will give in the region of 12 hours cook time at 110 C (230 F). In the Weber Kettle above the amount of briquettes in the photo gives me 6-7 hours of good cooking time.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky