Quick question from South Carolina

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shanhop

Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
I'm not new to smoking but just got a MES for Christmas.  My old one was a charcoal smoker that I converted to electric.  It was easy to access the wood tray to add or dump the burned wood with a small access door.  This allowed me to manage the wood in/out process while only losing minimal smoke and heat.  QUESTION:  Do I need to dump the burnt wood chips before adding new ones in the MES?  To do so I have to open the door and that lets my heat out.  Advice??  Thanks. 
biggrin.gif

P.S.  Any other MES tips and tricks would be great too.  =)  I'm sure there are plenty in this forum but there are soooooo many posts to sort through.

Glad you joined us shanhop, congrast on the new MES and :welcome1: from North Dakota!

The chip tray in the MES is meant to be dumped once it is placed inside the MES by rotating the chip tray 180º. So adding wood chips you will not have to open the door and loose heat and you will not have burnt wood chips in the tray to dump.

One of the best improvements for smoke quality for a MES is adding a 5X8 A-MAZE-N smoker to your arsenal. This offers smoke using wood pellets or sawdust and will provide better quality, more consistent smoke than using wood chips in your MES.

Thanks for the fast response.  I apologize for not being clear in my post.  The chip loader was an easy step.  Once the chips have been used and are black do I just add more or dump the burnt ones first?  I don't want to get in the habit of opening the door too much.

Is the 5X8 A-MAZE-N something that can be added to the smoker I just got?  I looked it up but just briefly read a little about it.  Would it just be placed inside the MES I have?

Thanks!

Shannon

Update....I used the smoker today.  Apparently I left the burnt wood in a little too long because my meat has a slight flavor of burnt wood.  This means I'll have to open the door about every 2 hours to dump the burnt wood.  Bummer. 

]Is the 5X8 A-MAZE-N something that can be added to the smoker I just got?  I looked it up but just briefly read a little about it.  Would it just be placed inside the MES I have?

Yes, you just add it as an option in your MES. The 5X8 tray is made to fit on the 2 rails to the left of the chip tray as you are facing the MES with the door open.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky