Quick Fix Chicken on WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rvachewlover

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Richmond, Va
Grilled some boneless, skinless chicken thighs yesterday on the WSM. Picked up a bag of Royal Oak lump at Walmart for $10. I was surprised by the little amount of flare ups that came off the Royal Oak; with Kingsford Blue I always get the chicken "flame kissed". Is this concurrent with others? I was extremely impressed by the flavor of the RO, even my wife could tell the difference compare to KB.

Quick Fix Chicken Rub

Equal Parts (1/4 cup)
-Salt
-Sugar
-Pepper

Equal parts (2 tbsp)
-Cocoa
-Ground Coffee

Dash of to taste:
Cayenne
Cumin

IMG_3300.jpeg
IMG_3299.jpeg

Yum and like.
Wife and I love grilled thighs. Very flavorful part of the bird.
Extra taste treat is buy them with bone and skin and remove the bone before cooking. Peel the skin back, scrape the excess fat and flap over the meat to grill. This is adapted from disco disco instructions.
Don't have a WSM, simply a W Kettle. Slide the thigh over direct heat with skin side down to crisp it out. Happy wife!
Bones get collected in the freezer bag and rendered out when making chicken stock
I don't usually use Kingsford briquettes. Kingsford uses a mix of soft and hard wood charcoal to press into a briquette.
I use only Royal Oak briquette for better results. The lump around here is mostly a scrap of kiln fried lumber mixed with raw pieces.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky