Quick Cook Pulled Pork ????, Updated with Results.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear,  I tried to keep the temp between 260 and 275.  It tended to want to stay closer to 275 then it did 260.

RW, This is definitely not a replacement to the tried and true low and slow.  Every weekend something comes up to where I couldn't do a real smoke.  I just couldn't take it anymore and had to squeeze this in the window I had today.  But if I get this desperate again, I won't hesitate to do this method if I have to.
That's fine Matt.

Your little experiment tells all of us how to do it in a pinch too. Probably many of us have avoided making any at all,  because of the time. Now we know how to put one through quicker. You helped us all with this.

Thanks,

Bear

I have read elsewhere that meat only takes up smoke flavor for the first 3 hours or so. That would jive with your results. I also tend to cut down on feeding the fire wood chucks the further I get into the cooking process and add lump only toward the end of the cook.  

congats, its always good to try different things.  Glad they turned out well for you.

Will this method allow you to enjoy PP more often?  will you return to the old method given the time?
I tried this method of foiling and raising the smoker temp to 300º due to getting a late start one time. The only down side to such a shorter smoke.......I didn't get to drink as many beers.
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

I have read elsewhere that meat only takes up smoke flavor for the first 3 hours or so. That would jive with your results. I also tend to cut down on feeding the fire wood chucks the further I get into the cooking process and add lump only toward the end of the cook.  
I read something like that too, but I think it might have been the "smoke ring". I think it keeps taking on smoke flavor, but maybe not as much as the first few hours.

Thanks for proving me wrong. I will have to try this method if I can't find of make the time. Its kind of nice to have help with people who will try new things and let you know how it works. Looks great, good job.

I read something like that too, but I think it might have been the "smoke ring". I think it keeps taking on smoke flavor, but maybe not as much as the first few hours.
 The idea was that once the meat reaches an internal temp of 140º, the pores on the meat shut up and no longer accept more smoke. However, the exterior of the meat still does thru out the smoke.

they look good but ya still spent 9 hrs .

Pros in comps do "hot and fast" all the time and often win.  Most use foil.

The idea was that once the meat reaches an internal temp of 140º, the pores on the meat shut up and no longer accept more smoke. However, the exterior of the meat still does thru out the smoke.

Yup, that's what I had read too. I double checked what I had in my files. I have "After about 135˚ or 140˚, the smoke ring is through forming, but the meat will continue to take on smoke at or near the surface".

Thanks Flash,

Bear

Matt,

Looks to me like you won big time!

The only part I would have worried about is the 275˚. Once it's foiled good, I wouldn't have worried about 300˚. But you proved 275˚ uncovered was OK too!

Great Job---I'm proud of you!

Bear
i dont understand what you mean worrying about 275*?

they look good i will try that other than the 15hrs in the fridge, might as well be on smoker if your gonna wait that long to prep them?

i dont understand what you mean worrying about 275*?

I was worried 275˚ was a little high during the uncovered stage, but apparently I was wrong, because Matt said it was great.

It's not the first time---I've been wrong before.

Understand?

Bear

Nice job, looks like the bone fell right out and the smoke ring is looking good. Looks like a way to keep the fridge full of smokey meat.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

they look good i will try that other than the 15hrs in the fridge, might as well be on smoker if your gonna wait that long to prep them?
There is always time to spend a half hour in prep time and let it sit over night.  My problem lately has been spending that 15 hours tending the smoker.   Saturday night was date night and my wifes birthday, so spending it smoking wasn't going to happen. 
icon_mrgreen.gif
  That pork was great for lunch today and will be great for lunch tomorrow. 

There is always time to spend a half hour in prep time and let it sit over night.  My problem lately has been spending that 15 hours tending the smoker.   Saturday night was date night and my wifes birthday, so spending it smoking wasn't going to happen. 
icon_mrgreen.gif
  That pork was great for lunch today and will be great for lunch tomorrow. 
ohh well you need an easier smoker then lol what are you using? the big rig you made?

I was worried 275˚ was a little high during the uncovered stage, but apparently I was wrong, because Matt said it was great.

It's not the first time---I've been wrong before.

Understand?

Bear
 i got you now, i thought you were referring to safety

Yesterday I took all the juices that were separating in the freezer/fridge and made up some finishing sauce.  After separating and straining a couple time, I put in some cider vinegar and a little lemon juice.  Poured it in a gallon zip loc that was half filled of PP and mixed it up.  Brought some to work today for a sandwich and with out anything else added to it.  I would have to say it was the best PP sammy I have ever had.  The one thing I am not happy with is, I only brought enough for big sandwich and I am still wanting more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky