Quiche, for a change of pace

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
We've all heard the old saying "Real men don't eat quiche". Well I've got to go against the grain every once in a while and say I really like quiche.

The temps have been pretty brisk around here lately(lower to mid 30's) and I wanted to fire up the kettle and do something cheap, quick, easy and tasty. So why not quiche I thought.

After rummaging around the freezer and fridge I found almost all the ingredients that I needed. The only one I needed to buy was the half-n-half.

DSC00865.JPG

First I fried up the bacon until it reached that crispy state:
DSC00867.JPG

Then tossed the broccoli and green onions into the pan to soften and get some added bacon flavor:
DSC00868.JPG

Inner fixings complete:
DSC00869.JPG

The store bought pie crust was placed into the oven to cook for a short time. I didn't want a soggy crust. Then the bottom is layed with cheddar cheese and finally the bacon, broccoli and onions.
DSC00873.JPG

The egg mixture is added next. 5 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup of half-n-half, and a few sprinkles of parmesan cheese.
DSC00874.JPG

Then a little more cheddar added to the top:
DSC00875.JPG

And off to warm up in the kettle using the charcoal baskets:

DSC00876.JPG

About a half-n-hour later the quiche is firm on the outside and just a little jiggly in the center.

DSC00877.JPG

...and the sliced shot:

DSC00880.JPG

This is an excellent way to get rid of your leftovers - as you can fill it with almost anything. It also provides a break from the normal meal routine. Total prep time 20 min., cook time 30 to 40 min. I wasn't sure where to put this so I figured poultry - since it's an egg based meal, and eggs are one step away from being chickens. As usual any tips or criticisms are more then welcome.

Thanks for the look.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC00866.JPG
    DSC00866.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00872.JPG
    DSC00872.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 21
Good looking quiche Chris, yum!
Like!

Quiche ain't nothing but an Omelette Pie, and I like omelettes.
Quiche was one of the first dishes I was taught to cook in a formal classroom setting.
Way, way back in history, in Junior High, a bunch of us guys discovered that the home economics class taught cooking and that you got to eat what you cooked.
Four of us guys invaded the home economics class and we learned to cook, with the added benefit of a 5th period meal.

There was also the bonus of four guys in class of about 20+ girls... A target rich environment.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I love quiche and anything else that has Bacon, Eggs and Cheese as an ingredient. Real men could not give a S#!T about what other people think about his Dinner...JJ

Dang Chris. I'm normally not a big quiche fan, but I haven't seen it look that good. Cooking it on the kettle makes me want to rethink things. Looks awesome.

Dave

Looks good. LIKE. We like quiche here (brunch usually) and despite what many think, quiche is high protein/manly. I use a crustless recipe I got from a bodybuilding site and I tweak. It is quite simple and all made in the blender in like 5m. Onion is a must have for us as well as some nutmeg. Your use of crust reminds me I need to get some shepherd pies on deck...

Looks pretty tasty to me. I'll have a piece.

Thanks smokerdude, it did turn out pretty good.

Good looking quiche Chris, yum!
Like!

Quiche ain't nothing but an Omelette Pie, and I like omelettes.
Quiche was one of the first dishes I was taught to cook in a formal classroom setting.
Way, way back in history, in Junior High, a bunch of us guys discovered that the home economics class taught cooking and that you got to eat what you cooked.
Four of us guys invaded the home economics class and we learned to cook, with the added benefit of a 5th period meal.

There was also the bonus of four guys in class of about 20+ girls... A target rich environment.

Thanks for the like and kind words appreciate them John. My friends and I had a similar situation in high school. Except it was a typing class. We got a new teacher that year and she was young and very pretty. So the three of us signed up for typing and were the only boys in the class. Needless to say the typing class became more popular as the years went on.

Chris

I love quiche and anything else that has Bacon, Eggs and Cheese as an ingredient. Real men could not give a S#!T about what other people think about his Dinner...JJ

JJ I totally agree, the saying is just an 80's expression(tongue in cheek) poking fun at men who followed the latest trends just to be cool.

Dang Chris. I'm normally not a big quiche fan, but I haven't seen it look that good. Cooking it on the kettle makes me want to rethink things. Looks awesome.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the like and compliment. This one did come out pretty good and a nice combo of ingredients.

Chris

Great job Chris!
Like!

Thanks Justin appreciate the kind words and like.

Looks good. LIKE. We like quiche here (brunch usually) and despite what many think, quiche is high protein/manly. I use a crustless recipe I got from a bodybuilding site and I tweak. It is quite simple and all made in the blender in like 5m. Onion is a must have for us as well as some nutmeg. Your use of crust reminds me I need to get some shepherd pies on deck...

Thanks Sam for the compliment and like. I've never had quiche w/o a crust sounds interesting. I should have made two and frozen one for a later date. I still had enough stuff in the fridge.

Chris

The Crustless variation sounds easy and quick. A more of a breakfast version can be made with frozen Shredded Hashbrowns. Spray your pie pan, line with 1/4" Potatoes and drizzle a couple Tablespoons melted Butter, S&P. Bake in a 425° oven until the Taters turn golden, about 15 minutes. Remove and reduce oven to the Quiche recipe temp. Fill and proceed...JJ

Great looking Quiche Chris, I am a big fan of them and I don't get to eat them enough either. Got me thinking now of making a couple here at work..... Points for sure.

Nice job Chris. I don't eat quiche very often but i do like it. Like

Thanks Gator, We don't make it nearly as often as I'd like, but when we have a little bit of this or that sitting in the fridge. It's a good way to use them up before they go bad. Also thanks for the like.

Quiche on the Barbie. I love it.

Thanks Braz, The barbie is an amazing cooking tool.

Chris

Wow, that looks fantastic! I love quiche too and rarely make it. Gotta get on that!

Thanks worktogthr, give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

Great looking Quiche Chris, I am a big fan of them and I don't get to eat them enough either. Got me thinking now of making a couple here at work..... Points for sure.

I know what you mean. I'm lucky to make one or two a year. I just never think about them until it too late. Thanks for like and compliment Charlie.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky