Questions on heating element in smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
Hi there. I’m currently building an electric smoker out of an old fridge. I know there’s a fridge smoker section but I just wanted to post here as well to get more input. I’m struggling to figure out the proper heating element for my smoker. I would like to have something powerful enough to get up to 400°. I plan on using the Auber PID that is 1800W rated. The brinkman 1500W element that gets mentioned often on here is $170 up in Canada and that is a bit pricey. Is it possible to power my smoker to this level using 120v? Or would I need 220v? For portability 120 would be better, but whatever works. I’m also concerned about the element being too hot where it exits the smoke chamber, where the insulation will be.

I’m not an electrician and don’t wanna die. Any and all help with getting this thing wired up and heated up is appreciated.

Jeff 4480FCBD-0B02-4E4C-A7C2-1A5F1F09F2E5.jpeg AA4FB237-E300-4B03-9B2E-BEC09BB4067D.jpeg F8BCB786-96EE-4C0E-92DE-27AB4FD81B59.jpeg CB42AED4-8E9A-44E8-B4DA-404B920C0BD4.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Myself.. I think it's going to be tough getting 400` out of a 120v element... I doubled up on elements (800w & 1500w) for my smokehouse (3x3x4)... I don't go over 180` with it though.. I just wanted it to recover quicker after opening the door ...

I think I read somebody's post where they found a 1800w , 120v element somewhere... but I'm thinking a 220v element... I used two elements from a stove (bake, broil) for my big smokehouse (6' tall)...

Reactions: Winterrider
Myself.. I think it's going to be tough getting 400` out of a 120v element... I doubled up on elements (800w & 1500w) for my smokehouse (3x3x4)... I don't go over 180` with it though.. I just wanted it to recover quicker after opening the door ...

I think I read somebody's post where they found a 1800w , 120v element somewhere... but I'm thinking a 220v element... I used two elements from a stove (bake, broil) for my big smokehouse (6' tall)...
Ok well not a huge deal if i gotta go 220v. I have a plug outside my garage. Is there anything fancy I gotta do for wiring a 220v element? Also, I’m concerned about the portion between the smoke chamber and the outer shell, where the insulation goes. Most of the elements I’ve seen have a portion of the element that would extend into this area. Not sure how to address that problem. Doesn’t seem practical and potentially dangerous.

Also, I’m concerned about the portion between the smoke chamber and the outer shell, where the insulation goes. Most of the elements I’ve seen have a portion of the element that would extend into this area. Not sure how to address that problem. Doesn’t seem practical and potentially dangerous.
Maybe cut out and use some type of metal box insert,( similar to electrical outlet box ) if able to cut out decently ? Mount burner to backside of box. High temp silicone around box ?

I’ve got 2 3200w sauna elements (240v) in my big smoker with a cheap PID ($25 as I recall) and a 120v mechanical 4 pole relay. The elements were less than $50 and the relay about $30.
It clicks when it cycles, but it works great and keeps my 6x2x3 ft cabinet anywhere I want it up to about 525F. I also switched the elements individually so I can direct where the heat is coming from depending on what I’m cooking.
I also have the peace of mind knowing that it’s much less likely to have the relay fail closed, and that I’m switching both poles (unlike a solid state power relay)

Reactions: Plinsc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky